where to buy inductors (besides PE, madisound)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spmachina77
    • Oct 2006

where to buy inductors (besides PE, madisound)

guys, i've had my rs tmww towers built for about a month, and just got money to order crossovers and drivers. The problem is that parts express is out of .40mh inductors (both kinds they offer) parts 266-814, 255-224

and i've been watching they keep pushing back the date, this is the only part i need to finish them. Anybody know anywhere else I can get something that will work for this.

its supposed to be a .40mh inductor with about .3ohms resistance ( it was listen on the bom as a 18 guage. At madisound they have a (Solen 0.39mH Air Core #14 Awg Perfect Lay Inductor) would this work, or will it not be ideal since resistance would probably be less than .3 ohms (I don't think it should make any audible difference)

update:
    i also found this from oregondv.com (this is the same as from madisound)
    14 gauge perfect lay solen inductor (.39mh, .11 ohms resistance), $7.50, this seems to be the best bet, just wondering if that part will make any difference since the specs are slightly off
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Meniscus should have some. They list a .4mh/.28ohm 18ga on their inductor page.

We are doing some work on our site. Please come back later. We'll be up and running in no time.

But first ask the designer if DCR is important. Might just buy the Solen and save on shipping costs, I probably would.

Comment

• jmb
      • Feb 2006

I get my inductors from Solen. They may even wind you the specified value. When I was looking for a 2.6mH for the MT's, I called them up and they wound what I needed.
      "I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail......than attempt to do nothing and succeed."

Comment

• dlneubec
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

You can also get them from
        North Creek
        The ones they show are 18g, .40/.28, which is close enough. They will also wind them to custom specs.
        Dan N.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

I thought North Creek closed the DIY parts department.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
            I thought North Creek closed the DIY parts department.
            They are closed to everyone except his commercial customers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• 2Below
              • Jan 2007

I've used Digikey for many electronic components. Here's a link to their website:

Digi-Key offers millions of products from thousands of manufacturers, many in-stock quantities available to ship same day. Apple Pay, Google Pay™ & Paypal accepted, order online today!

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Zalytron is another source of all parts. I've been pleased with the service and pricing.

Comment

• JohnW88
                  • Jan 2007

JANTZEN .39mH 15 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR

PE has it in stock:

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

Just in case anyone is interested, probably tomorrow I will be able to tell you how much to unwind off a Perfect Lay (from Madisound) 14g .47mH, to make it an even .40mH.

Not sure if this design shares it, but I will also know how many turns off of the Mad 2.75mH 14g to take for the 2.6mH required for the Modula MT. It was a better price than the 2.5mH from The Other Guys... and will be more accurate.

Yes, I do get kinda picky sometimes... and have access to a $1500 LCR meter at work... 8)

Drop me a PM if you need to know...

Comment

• BobEllis
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Not to be a spoiler, but why not buy a .4 mH 14 gauge Erse perfect lay inductor (.12 ohm DCR) from Zalytron for >$5 less? I've found Zalytron inductor pricing consistently lower than other sources - usually enough to save even accounting for an extra shipping charge.

With no tolerance specified for either source, unwinding will be a 10% or more error proposition anyway.

Comment

• gonar
                        • Feb 2006

if I have a spec for an inductor with a specific DCR, but I want to go up a guage or 2, (which lowers the DCR) can I just tack a resistor on the end to bring the resistance up to the specifie level? (I'm assuming it would go after the inductor rather than before)

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"