Avalanche 18 in sonotube or dipole sub array?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

Avalanche 18 in sonotube or dipole sub array?

The idea of building line arrays has intrigued me for a while and lately ive been doing a lot of research on them.

I have the option to use 16 RS125s per side in a dipole (24" baffle) line array alignment with a single RS390HF on the bottom.

Here is the scenario, I bought a brand new Avalanche 18 a while ago and it has just been sitting in its box waiting for a project. I can install it in a sonotube and augment the low-end or I can sell it and buy 6 more RS390HFs and go with a dipole line array.

Whats your opinion?

Thanks, Thad

Edit by moderator to remove link to ad. Here are the forum rules regarding ads.

Posts from members with less than 12 posts and 30 days membership time will be deleted. Approval available by special request for members with less than 12 posts or less than 30 days time as member.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 06 January 2007, 23:08 Saturday.
  • thylantyr
    • Nov 2004

Avalanche 18 for sale, sweet. How much? :twisted:

Comment

• ssabripo
      • Dec 2005

cool basket...never seen an ava 18 with that basket..pretty nice! but $500?! 8O
      My simple HT setup
      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• thadman
        • Jan 2007

upppp

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Personally I've never heard a line consisting of really small mids that I liked (the IDS for example).

My idea of a line array is a something like a line of RS180 or 270, combined with similar height line of planar or ribbon tweeters.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mazeroth
            • Nov 2004

thadman, what were you going to use to fill in the upper end?

Recently, Jim Griffin posted how the center-to-center spacing of the mids in an array actually need to be 1/2 wavelength apart, not a full wavelength like his white paper states. For example, his white paper states that a 130mm CtC spacing (5.25") will have comb lines starting to form at 2582 hz. Whereas now Jim says you need to cross over at 1/2 wavelength, or 1291 hz if you're drivers are 130 mm apart. His new line arrays, which have the CSS WR125s, cross somewhere in the neighborhood of 1700 hz 8th order, via a DEQX.

Thomas, when you listened to the IDS what did you like and dislike about them? I was thinking of trying a full-range line array of Hi-Vi B3Ns (20-24 per side) and using EQ to mitigate combing effects. I figure for about $300 (with quantity discount and supplies) it would be a neat experiment.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

If I had money to burn, I'd like to try a 3-way open baffle line array, substituting a line of the Aurasound 3" for the RD75 mid. A line of Fountek ribbons for the tweets and and a line of some nice 10" for the woofs. Since the RD75 is limited to 4K or so to avoid its resonance, I just don't see the advantage, either in price or SQ, over a line of quality 3". Any way you look at it though, it would be a megabuck speaker.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"