X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindahl
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cjd
    So, an interest in a 2.35:1 (or 2.4:1) screen has me pondering all horizontal placement across the front stage now.
    Acoustic transparent screen? Couldn't resist . Though, if this is a different room than your stereo setup, maybe...?

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Lindahl
      Acoustic transparent screen? Couldn't resist . Though, if this is a different room than your stereo setup, maybe...?
      Not sure it's really feasible in the space I have. I'm barely within workable space limits as it is, only 11'6" depth on the floor. 9 feet wide. Trust me, I keep going back to "how can I go AT here"

There IS the possibility if I go in-wall on the speakers, and I'm still considering it. I can probably deal with a little loss in screen size from mounting the screen another inch or two out from the wall, but I've also been pondering a curved screen which would require that to some degree anyhow... But the real difficulty is mounting the screen in such a way that it fits in the space available.

Then too, that's the added expense of having to do another screen, but I'd need to do that to get 2.4:1 anyhow... and...

What the heck, I don't need to eat or sleep any time soon do I?

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Chris,

I don't know if you get the PE sales flyer, but they have new products to do DIY inwalls. It's basically the frame, grill and blank baffle. IIRC, they have 3 different sizes. The MTM one would work well for two of the NS4's and a tweeter. I imagine you could even build a back box and attach it to the baffle if you wanted to do so.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I want 3-ways up front really. And I have access to the back-side (that's the wall my IB manifold is mounted into after all) - it's a sump and plumbing so it can't be part of the room, but I have room to put some boxes out the back.

Side surrounds I'm still messing around, we'll see how they turn out.

May do more than one speaker project here (that's always the danger!)

C

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

While pondering curved screen options (which I may or may not want to bother with) I realized that I think I actually have in mind a method of doing an AT Torus *without* going vacuum. And something DIYers could probably pull off once the process were properly illustrated. The headache of it, however, might not make it worthwhile. :P

C

Comment

• cobbpa
              • Apr 2005

Just something I saw that crossed my mind as a design that may be worth examining..the Paradigm Reference Millenia. Basically a high WAF 2.5 way that takes up minimal floor space. It's an MTMWWW with smallish drivers in most models. Seems kinda cool, not sure what issues the driver layout or 2.5 way design may bring about, but I thought I'd mention it.

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by cobbpa
                Just something I saw that crossed my mind as a design that may be worth examining..the Paradigm Reference Millenia. Basically a high WAF 2.5 way that takes up minimal floor space. It's an MTMWWW with smallish drivers in most models. Seems kinda cool, not sure what issues the driver layout or 2.5 way design may bring about, but I thought I'd mention it.
                I posted about designing a similar setup, MTMW 2.5way using 5.25" mids and an 8" or 10" .5 woofer. Didn't get much response other then it won't sound good. I'd be curious hwo these designs really differ from a 3way. I'd think it would be easier to design the 2.5, though the mids work more then the 3way, but less then they would if were a simple MTM 2way.
                ~Brandon 8O
                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

A 2.5 way with a different .5 (unless it's something really close) is not going to work so well normally. The difference is that the mid-woofers play all the way down as low as they can go and the .5 covers baffle step and otherwise shores up the bottom end. So you also have to watch impedance.

A 3-way will deliver superior sound (in my opinion, which is based on my experience) given the same drivers compared to a 2.5 way.

C

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"