X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2Below
    • Jan 2007

DIY Sub

Planning on doing a DIY sub. Considering the ***** drivers (edit by moderator to remove reference to kit vendor product). What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the 12"/15" drivers? I'd like to do a down firing setup as well (kid/cats .

WAF is not a big thing but I'd prefer to keep the size under 3cf. Not really into boomy bass - just want accurate repoduction of both music and HT.

I'm comfortable working with wood and have a supply of leftover Medex. How does this compare to MDF/HDF?
    Last edited by ThomasW; 05 January 2007, 01:41 Friday. Reason: We do not discuss products from kit vendors
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

First what is Medex? A google search turns up nothing but reference to medical links.

If the motor is properly designed there will be no significant performance difference between a 12" and 15", with the exception that the 15" will of course move more air.

Look at the driver's Vas to see how appropriate it is for a small box. The lower the Vas the better in this case.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• 2Below
      • Jan 2007

Medex is a lumber product made by SierraPine. It's moisture resistant. Here is a link to some info

I've got several pieces left over from a construction project that are 1 1/4" thick and are just calling out to me to make a sub with.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Interesting looks like great stuff for a sub .... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"