Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

having quite some problems finding sonotubes

I have called at least a dozen places that sonotube refered me to

im in search of a 20" diameter by 60" tube

a few have the 20" diameter but those that do only have it in 12' lengths
    hauling this is dangerouse and cutting straight was near impossible for me the first time around
    and no one is willing to cut one even if full 12ft price is paid

it seems like it shouldnt be this hard

any ideas
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is not an unusual situation. Most people bite the bullet and buy 12'. Frequently it's not too difficult to find others wanting the left-over tube after hearing how the subs perform.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

how does one properly cut it straight?
      a jig saw proved too difficult for me
      I assume a long hand saw?

fyi I was quoted $35 plus $90 shipping from sonoco!
      I may actualy consider it at this point

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

There should be a local supplier where you can go and pick it up. Do quick and dirty job cutting it in 1/2 (handsaw is fine) then take it home.

When making a accurate cut I put in a flush end cap and use a bearing under router bit.

Others find it easier to mark the circumference and use a jigsaw.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• oxcartdriver
          • Apr 2006

I marked the circumference and cut with a circular saw (both cordless and corded)

This is how the concrete supply company cut my tube to length. I didn't trust them to cut accurately (wise choice), so I rounded my desired length up to the nearest foot.

Maybe you could do better, but I would estimate my tolerance to be better than +/- 1/8 inch. I used inserted 1.5 inches of end cap into the tube and filled the gaps with glue prior to carpet wrap installation. The glue and carpet covered the less than perfectly true cuts in the sonotube.

Comment

• Jerm357
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by peterS
            I have called at least a dozen places that sonotube refered me to

im in search of a 20" diameter by 60" tube

a few have the 20" diameter but those that do only have it in 12' lengths
            hauling this is dangerouse and cutting straight was near impossible for me the first time around
            and no one is willing to cut one even if full 12ft price is paid

it seems like it shouldnt be this hard

any ideas
            That's the same thing I went through trying to find my 5' piece of tube. I got so frustrated I finally said screw it and built a box with the same tall down firing design as the sonosub was going to be. Here's a picture before I painted it black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0721.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	847061
            Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:53 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Ecir38
              • Oct 2006

This is how I cut mine with a miter hand saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.webp
Views:	27
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	943967

Use a tape measure to mark around the tube in about 6" increments, then I used a 12" flexible metal straight ruler that is about 1.5" wide to to draw a straight line all the way around.
              Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:54 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
              BR

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"