X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drake
    • Jan 2007

Sub Amp

I ordered a GR sub and passive radiator but plan on upgrading to the TC Sounds 4100 down the road. I am in need of a sub amp and these are the options I have researched out thus far. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Rythmik amp with the LT built in.
    Apex amp with the remote
    BEHRINGER EP2500 and the DEQ2496
    Carvin DCM2000 and the DEQ2496
    And then there is the Buttkicker

Matt
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by drake
    BEHRINGER EP2500 and the DEQ2496
    Carvin DCM2000 and the DEQ2496
    And then there is the Buttkicker
    Any of these will work fine with the TC-Sounds driver. You'd need to be careful using them with the GR-12, since any of the amps listed will easily melt it down given their high power.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• drake
      • Jan 2007

Thanks

Thanks ThomasW for the reply. I guess I should have used the search feature better. There are tons of threads on this very subject.

Matt

Comment

• drake
        • Jan 2007

Crown Xls

Has anyone had any experience with the Crown XLS line of amplifiers?

Matt

Comment

• digital desire
          • Dec 2006

I have a buttkicker and 12" tc 2000 (plus a bassis). Thumbs up so far.
          Peter
          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
            • Apr 2006

I went with a used Crown K2 over the XLS. The K2 has no fan and better damping factor. I contacted Crown and they recommended the K2 over the XLS or XTI series. I picked up a used model.

Negatives of the Crown K2:
            1) Speaker binding posts are close together which is a pain, XLS&xti layouts seem better.
            2) The flashing lights are a distraction though informative.
            3) power cord is very short, ie for rack set-ups
            4) May have more power than you need, but then sub-amp power never goes out of style.

Comment

• drake
              • Jan 2007

Thanks Guys

I have a buttkicker and 12" tc 2000 (plus a bassis). Thumbs up so far.
              What is a bassis?

The K2 is ALOT more money is it really worth that much more money?

Comment

• digital desire
                • Dec 2006

Only for sealed subs, but it *really* works. It is the tool to combat irons law (is that what it called?). Anyway, it really adds demands on woofer and amplifier, but it works.

EDIT: I see you are looking at a PR design. The bassis has no bassis for this. h:
                Peter
                Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                  • Apr 2006

The K2 is ALOT more money is it really worth that much more money?
                  I have a K2, it is probably not worth the extra money for a sub amp, if the K2 is compared to the other pro amps. Compared to the highier power plate amps, the K2 is reasonable.

Bottom line: Probably not worth the extra money for the K2 compared to other cheaper pro amps.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Has anyone had any experience with the Crown XLS line of amplifiers?

Matt
                    The XLS amps aren't up to the Crown tradition, and therefore can be obtained cheaply. The Behringers are probably the best bang for the buck. The QSC RMX HD amps are supposedly very good.

The Crown K2 is nice because it is fanless.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• drake
                      • Jan 2007

Linkwitz transform

So basically the bassis is a Linkwitz transform circuit?

Matt

Comment

• digital desire
                        • Dec 2006

Yes, but you can fine tune it. I have no experiance with any other LT setup though.
                        FWIW, I give a double thumbs up for the kit, I built mine single channel for lfe, and it is built like a tank, no corners cut (for what it is). Fun to put together. Coupled with the buttkicker, an excellent solution for anyone looking to drive one or more sealed subs.
                        Peter
                        Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• tanker
                          • Jan 2007

Bassis?(Sub amp)

Sorry to get off topic, but I am interested in the bassis that Digital Desire has built. Could you give me more info on this? I am a newbie here so I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you, Brian

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cobbpa
                              • Apr 2005

Just to throw out some other options, as I'm thinking through this as well:
                              Nady has the SPA-2400 which seems comparable to the Behringer. I don't see as many of these on eBay, so it's hard to say for what price they can be had.
                              I would LOVE to find a decent deal on a higher-end DCM Carvin amp. Their damping factors are very high and they seem to have loads of power; reviews seems to indicate they deliver too. Carver has some high-end amps as well. I get the feeling that Carver & Carvin amps would be pretty comparable to Crown in quality...but as I have no experience with any of them, someone correct me if I'm off on this, please.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2001

Just to clarify what Peter was saying, the amp with the built-in LT and/or a Bassis unit will not work if you are using a PR based design. They are ONLY for sealed designs, so you cannot use them with ported/pr designs.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"