X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Inductor lay?

I was horsing around doing some running splices in some rigging rope today, and the fact that the rope had it's spool laying on the ground and was un-winding clock-wise seemed to be causing me some grief. The rope would tangle up and flop over as I unwound a considerable amount of it.

I got to thinking about inductors, and whether they are always wound the same way? For example, you unwind a coil in one direction, and it always lays the same way - if you flip the inductor over, the direction of the "wind" is still the same way...
    If I were to start winding my own inductors, (I have a pretty accurate Henry meter), would there be any benefit to winding some one way and some in the opposite direction? Would this help at all to alleviate mutual inductance ? (I can't recall the guys name who the left hand/right hand rule was named for w.r.t. magnetic coils amd polarity).
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

nobody?

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Well, you know, it depends on what hemisphere you're in, no?

Seriously, counter-wound coils may have a different affect on each-other BUT ideally, crossover coils should never be in proximity to effect each-other. So it's kind-of moot, no?

Maybe.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

good point.
        if the x-over boards are designed/built right in the first place, the "lay" shouldn't matter.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

What really bugs me is, did I manage to use the right effect/affect in that post! I hate that word. :P

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

effect is what has been, affect i what might be...
            or something

Comment

• JorgenMan
              • Jan 2006

Just FYI, it should have been "affect". "Affect" is a verb; "effect" is a noun. Actually, "effect" can be a verb, too, as in "to effect (cause) a change."
              -Aaron
              You can't spell geek without EE!

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JorgenMan
                Just FYI, it should have been "affect". "Affect" is a verb; "effect" is a noun. Actually, "effect" can be a verb, too, as in "to effect (cause) a change."
                Yeah, I think I got 'em backwards.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"