• Show
Clear All
  • taloyd
    • Nov 2006

any carpenters in the Los Angeles area?

hello,

I'm looking for someone to build a speaker design. Basic details are:

MTM with three 8" diameter drivers
    in a U-frame with the wings splayed out 45 degrees (so 90 between them)...

9" face, 10" wing length. Around 26" high (enough for 3 8" drivers).

As this is a proof-of-design prototype, it does not have to be fancy. 3/4" MDF should suffice.

If anyone is interested, or knows of anyone, please email me. I'm actually in the San Fernando Valley area (right by CSUN), but can definitely work with someone in LA.

thanks,

-Tal
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

What's your budget? I have a presently unemployed friend who is a very skilled woodworker who might be willing to do a little side job (Santa Clarita) who has absorbed a lot of the ins outs of speaker cabinet construction from my incessant droning on about it.

BB

Comment

• taloyd
      • Nov 2006

budget, etc.

Hello,

Re: budget, the less the better, especially as this is a prototype. After hearing positive things about Adire's DDR design (http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/KITDDR.htm) I'm thinking I might just try a flat baffle to see if the woofers have the Sd*Xmax for it or not. If they are satisfactory in that situation, they should only be better in a U-frame, especially as the radiation pattern will shift from dipole to cardioid, improving imaging by reducing rear reflections.

So at this point I'm thinking of a 15" x 24" (golden ratio) baffles, simple 3/4" MDF, with beveled/chamfered cutouts on the back of the woofers (if 3/4" permits), with a simple spine (like http://www.musicanddesign.com/images/NaoMini2.gif) to hold the thing up. Drivers would be offset a la the MTM section of the Arvo Part (http://audioworx.virtualave.net/APS03.jpg). Should be fairly simple.

Not sure how much woodwork that is... I'd imagine (relatively) not much as it's basically:

cutting the 4x8 to two 15"x24" panels, as well as the "spines"
      making six large holes for the driver cutouts
      attaching spine
      presto!

Have him feel free to email me at TALOYD at GMAIL dot COM and we can discuss. Santa Clarita is not too far away...

I pretty much want to confirm that I enjoy the dipole sound, that it's feasible with the drivers I'm considering, and that it doesn't need to be too huge.

thanks,

-Tal

ps: If I was doing this, I'd also have him do the "endcaps" for a pair of sealed 24" Sonotube subwoofers...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"