X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

sub project

Can my friend do these two in a 18"x18"x20" cabinet, sealed. How do the numbers look ?

Power handling: 800 watts RMS/1,100 watts max
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Fs: 19.93
    Xmax 20.5 mm
    Sensitivity: 91.7 dB 2.83V/1m
    Vas: 7.79 cu. ft.
    Qts: .38

Here is a little update on the specs.Thanx guys.His plan was to do a small endtable subwoofer.My fear was that a small sealed sub would almost hipass itself at 30hz or so.

Thanx
    Last edited by kgveteran; 02 January 2007, 11:28 Tuesday.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Although we like many of PE's products, the Titanic MKIII probably isn't the best choice for a small box given it's high Vas. If he has the bucks using either the Soundsplinter RL-p15"s or TC-Sounds TC-2000 would be a better choice for a box that small. A pair of anything in that small a box will require EQ and a much bigger amp. He should look at a Bassis or Behringer DEQ2496 to boost the bottom end.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ray Collins
      • Mar 2006

Is it permissable to ask a similar question regarding the need for an endtable subwoofer design or should I initiate a thread?

Ray
      Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
      BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• LunarD
        • Aug 2006

Ray,

The odds are it will be the exact same reply that Thomas just gave to KG. At least if you want a really good sub and can afford either of those drivers and the DEQ2496. If those are too much money, list what your total budget is. Remember, you need a driver and amp at a minimum, and you really should get some type of eq.

Don't forget to search the DIY Subwoofer Showcase. It has some end table subwoofers:

John

"I wonder where we go when we die?"
        "...Pittsburgh?"
        "You mean if we're good or if we're bad?"

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

If he doesn't have the bucks as Thomas says, the Rythmik 15" kit would work well for that size.

Comment

• Ray Collins
            • Mar 2006

Thanks John.
            I have searched the site thoroughly as well as several others and did not find what I need....or think that I need. My budgt is flexable but not tight. The subs will be for a small HT that I am redoing in a small spare bedroom. The room size is 12' x 14' with 10' ceilings.
            Based on my research I feel that I need to build a pair of Bipole push-push subs. I need the bipole configuration so that the subs will not walk and items placed on top will remain there during use. The height of the subs is limited to 24" and the baffle width 14" or less; depth as needed.
            The drivers that I began with are the 12" RSS315HF and the 10" RSS265...both from Parts Express. John Krutke's woofer tests found this series of drivers to be fairly low in distortion and a good buy.
            I did the modeling by hand using the formulas in the Weems book and the Dickason book. I also had PE do them on the BASSPRO. The trial calculations were done for each driver in a sealed box using a Qtc of .50 and a Qtc .707.
            My questions are as follows:
            I assume that I simply double the volume to get the needed size for the bipole configuration?
            Due to the baffle width constraint should I use 10" drivers instead of 12" drivers?
            Are the drivers suitable for my intended application?
            What is the consensus, if there is one, on the bipole push-push configuration?

All input will be appreciated.

Ray
            BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• LunarD
              • Aug 2006

Ray,

--I assume that I simply double the volume to get the needed size for the bipole configuration?

Correct

--Due to the baffle width constraint should I use 10" drivers instead of 12" drivers?

I would use the 12" drivers. While your baffles should be 1 1/2" think, your walls only need to be 3/4" thick. Just make sure to add window bracing. 14" - 1.5" gives you 12.5" clearance. Plenty of room for 12" drivers.

-- Are the drivers suitable for my intended application?

I would still use the RL-p12 or TC-Sounds TC-2000 12" drivers.

-- What is the consensus, if there is one, on the bipole push-push configuration?

I think most will find this to be the optimum solution for a sealed design. While Mark Seaton is bringing this type of setup into vogue with his Submersive subwoofer, the first time I saw this was with Thomas's Tube-Zilla:

And don't forget the DEQ2496 or Bassis, and be sure to read this thread:

John

"Idiocy is the essence of the male mind."

Comment

• kgveteran
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                Although we like many of PE's products, the Titanic MKIII probably isn't the best choice for a small box given it's high Vas. If he has the bucks using either the Soundsplinter RL-p15"s or TC-Sounds TC-2000 would be a better choice for a box that small. A pair of anything in that small a box will require EQ and a much bigger amp. He should look at a Bassis or Behringer DEQ2496 to boost the bottom end.
                He'll be using one driver in this design.I really like the SS15's.

If he goes with the SS15 and the Behringer, I'm thinking the 500watt plate amp may have to go.More like a EP1500 bridged ?

Comment

• Ray Collins
                  • Mar 2006

Thanks John, I have read both.

I feel that I have hijacked this thread and need to move to another or start another. My apologies to kgveteran.

Ray
                  BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kgveteran
                    He'll be using one driver in this design.I really like the SS15's.

If he goes with the SS15 and the Behringer, I'm thinking the 500watt plate amp may have to go.More like a EP1500 bridged ?
                    The real Pmax of the RL-p15 is closer to 1000 watts although the website says 600-700 watts. So yes the EP1500 or the 1000 watt plate amp

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kgveteran
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ray Collins
                      Thanks John, I have read both.

I feel that I have hijacked this thread and need to move to another or start another. My apologies to kgveteran.

Ray
                      No problem Ray, back in my day I would go to Phoenix City Alabama to a night club when I was in the military @ Ft. Benning GA. Ahh the good ol' days on Victory Dr.

KG

Comment

• Ray Collins
                        • Mar 2006

Just a stroll across the Chattahoochee River to Sin City where you could get a drink, shoot dice and get your nubbin greased. It is still there probably just as you remember it. Lots of fun!

Ray
                        BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"