X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auburnu008
    • Aug 2004

IB setup vs. Ported design?

I will be building a dedicated theater in my new home and it will be just over 2500 cubic feet. I have been planning on doing (6) tc sounds tc2000's in (2) 18 cubic feet ported boxes. Each box would have to be in the front corner behind my mains. I was going to power them with (3) ep2500's. I have been reading quite alot on these forums and recently started thinking about doing an IB setup. I have the entire actic to work with for the IB setup. I was looking at doing (12) of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-455. They could be mounted anywhere in the ceiling in the room. They would be powered by (2) ep2500's. Can someone help with the differences between the two and how they would sound? The IB setup with 12 15's would actually be $1000 cheaper and easier to build. I know both are over kill, but I love bass and can never have enough. I currenly have a SVS B4+. How would these compare with the B4+ and which would you do (the IB or the TC sounds ported boxes)? Thanks!
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by auburnu008
    ... The IB setup with 12 15's would actually be $1000 cheaper and easier to build. ....

Don't even think about any other options -just do it ..

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Just remember "Once you go IB, you never go back!".

Comment

• Tommythecat
        • Nov 2005

It might be damn near the same cost of the 12 15's to go with 12 18's from mach5audio. Just a thought if you didn't want to feel like a child with a baby-toy substage .

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Personally, I'd do an IB with the Dayton Reference series. Much better drivers than the Dayton IB although they do cost $30 more. PE seems to be having a lot of sales lately so maybe they'd give you a break on 12 if you call them.

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Yeah, the reference drivers look like a great option for IB use.

Comment

• Mazeroth
              • Nov 2004

An IB will destroy your SVS sub. Don't even consider a ported design when IB is a viable option.

As far as the RS series, they are great drivers with very low distortion. However, they are pretty lean in the xmax department with only 14 mm of excursion. Two RS390s (15") will move the same amount of air as a single TC Sounds TC2000 (28 mm) and still cost less money, PLUS they're free shipping. The only downside is you'll have to mount twice as many drivers.

8-12 of the RS390s and you'll be in GREAT shape! :T

Comment

• auburnu008
                • Aug 2004

OK, now I am looking at 12 18" MJ18's from mach5 or the new 18" driver they are releasing soon instead of the 15" partsexpress driver. How would 12 18"s sound? I am also looking to do a line array with 2 rows of six in front of the front stage. Something like this is the way I was thinking about mounting them:

Image not available

What do you think about 2 lines of 6 18's in my room? Please help me!!!!!
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 20:48 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Paul W
                  • Oct 2004

Twelve drivers in 2500 cubic feet should sound fantastic. Both the Dayton and Mach 5 have more than enough displacement. The Dayton may have a better motor and cone, Mach 5 will do the job with lower travel...don't know which would yield lower distortion.

With the layout as drawn, depending on cone mass, the ceiling may shake (vertically). Consider vertically mounted direct-facing driver pairs with braces (or full walls) running between each driver pair to restrict flexing of the box walls and ceiling joists. In other words, build a contiguous "honeycomb" of six 4-sided chambers over the ceiling opening. As you have drawn, be sure to build the honeycomb on top of (or outside) the joists for lower flow restriction.
                  Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I really recommend the 'manifold' design where the drivers are mounted in opposition, when building a IB of this scale. Line arrays don't offer the mechanical cancelation of a manifold. And when the IB is capable of moving significantly large amounts of air, IMO it's best to decrease the load on the structure. (helps avoid things like cracked plaster)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• auburnu008
                      • Aug 2004

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. I have never done an IB before and need all the help I can get.

Comment

• noah katz
                        • Dec 2005

I'd also go IB.

If it's feasible, consider placing the drivers in 2 or 4 groups near the midpoints of opposite walls per the Harman paper

This cancels and/or doesn't excite some of the room modes, giving smoother response and making EQ easier (the paper assumes EQ will be used).
                        ------------------------------
                        Noah

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"