Slightly OT: What kind of wood does Kraft-Maid use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Slightly OT: What kind of wood does Kraft-Maid use?

My father in-law got a killer deal on FIFTY sheets of 4x8 veneered "cabinet grade" plywood that he picked up from a Kraft Maid (http://www.kraftmaid.com/) employee sale. I guess if the wood has any defects at all they mark them and stack them up and sell them off at one of their quarterly employee only sales. He's friends with a guy that works there and went there with him, but anywho...

He called me and said I could drive up there (3 hours) with a truck (I'll probably have to rent a U-Haul for the day) and take as many as I want, which will probably be all of them as he said he has no use for them but the deal was too good to pass up. I'm wondering what kind of wood Kraft Maid would use for the internals of their cabinets?

I asked him what he wanted for them and he told me to just take them. I told him "No way!" and that I'd build him a new set of speakers out of them (Mission Accomplished 3-ways, I'm thinking) but I'd just like to make sure the kind of wood they use would be satisfactory for building some speakers (ok, maybe not some, but a LOT) :E

I think I should get a medal for most parentheses in a single post!

Thanks!
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

WOW! 50 sheets! What kind of veneer? Debating the relative merits of different kinds of wood is all very interesting but any kind can be made to work well with a little common sense and price=free rules. Grab 'em, build your father-in-law some nice speakers and you'll have materials to pursue the hobby for many years.

PS, get a BIG trailer. 50 sheets of plywood are bigtime heavy. Think compact car for how much they weigh.

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Hehe. Yeah, I was thinking each one should weigh in at around 70 - 80 lbs. Figure that's 3500 - 4000 lbs, hence my thinking of getting a U-Haul for the day. Shouldn't cost me more than $100 - $150 to rent the truck with gas. He said the sheets were almost all perfect so $2-$3 / sheet is a steal! I guess the sheets were sold in a bundle and you had to purchase them all. It was a silent auction type deal and he said he got them for almost nothing (he won't tell me how much he paid for them).

Comment

• mazurek
        • Mar 2006

Well, well, well, I think your going to be supplying me with wood for the rest of my life. You won't need to go through the hassle of making removable baffles, you can just make infinite boxes.

Comment

• digital desire
          • Dec 2006

The craftmaid cabinets that I have with 3/4" 5 ply. It does seem like it is void free however, maybe baltic, but don't really know. Prolly worth the trip if you have a lot dreams for speakers, and the talent/time to make your own!
          Peter
          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"