X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Newbie questions?

All else being equal do drivers with high excursion like some of the subwoofer drivers I'm seeing have the linearity of a driver that doesn't have such extreme excursion? It doesn't make sense that driving something two inches peak to peak could remain as linear.

I see some subwoofer drivers that cost 6-800 each. That seems very high although I know of tweeters costing much more. Are these high dollar drivers much if any better than drivers costing 2-300 each?

Also do driver manufacturers inflate their sensitivity ratings like commercial speaker makers often do?

Thank You
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

'Generally' the extremes of the excursion aren't linear for any driver whether the excursion is short or long.

I've heard the $2400 Accuton Diamond tweeters and they were pretty impressive....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

I have to agree with Thomas . Some of the expensive drivers do sound great, but I have to admit that you can buy 95% of the performance for less. It's that last piece of resolution/ air which will cost you a lot of money.

For example those Dayton RS180 drivers sound fantastic, but if you compare them to Seas Excel/ Accuton you hear that the Dayton misses some of the microdynamic/ resolution/ vividness of the Seas/ Accuton. Also bare in mind that you need fine electronics to hear these differences. For some it's the imperfectness of drivers which they like, so taste is also involved.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"