I've decided to use Chris' version of the Dayton RS 3-ways. Surround suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WinstonSmith
    • Dec 2006

I've decided to use Chris' version of the Dayton RS 3-ways. Surround suggestions?

I figure I might as well jump in with both feet. In doing so, I'll be making 5 speakers. Before I tackle the two mains, I'm going to make the rear surrounds and a center. What would go well with this??

By doing things this way I have a chance to eliminate my 100 buck center and surrounds (that's for all three and yes they do sound awful) and use them while I complete the main speakers.

What's your suggestion?
    Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 07:39 Monday. Reason: Remove broken url
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Well, the ultimate is 5 of the same. If you are going with a front projector and a perf screen (one of the best is a DIY solution, ironically) then 3 of the towers up front for sure. This is really going to get you the best results sonically, but it takes room. At least 8 inches between screen and the front of the speaker, and ideally a foot or two behind so you'd need like four to five feet from screen to the wall behind...

Otherwise, I did a crossover in the WTMW 3-way thread https://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193911&postcount=83]here - it uses RS225's, RS150, and RS28 (you'll need to verify whether it was the shielded version or not, I don't recall...) - I'm pretty sure Brian Bunge has built this. It should voice-match very well. Some day I think I would like to do a WTMW or possibly some oddly shaped WMTMW center variant with the same drivers as the WWMTM's. I definitely can't build such a beast without near instant death though. So someone that can build and do accurate measurements would be needed, then I can tweak the crossover for it.

For surrounds, the Natalie P would basically get you the MTM portion of the bigger 3-ways and they're darned good speakers as they stand. Mark K's RS225 based TM would be another viable option.

C
    Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 07:41 Monday. Reason: Update url
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

With speakers that good, large and powerful, a phantom center may be the better option?? A center is really only needed to anchor sound to the tv for people off axis and with funky room environments.

Surrounds, if they are going to be wall or ceiling mounted, then you'll probably want the version of the Modula MT or MTM with the BSC effect for surface/near surface mounting, right? Or a similar project meant to be located so close to the walls.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

How valuable a center is depends on the total setup, but in general it's worth having.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

I'm in the process of building the crossover for the center right now (along with getting ready for Christmas, etc.). I should have the center done not long after I get back from GA.

Comment

• WinstonSmith
            • Dec 2006

Well I found the BOM for the Natalie P's. Ordered everything plus the RS28s for the other speakers as well. Too bad I missed the special pricing on the RS180's but I have only my indecision to blame for that. Heh, I get to build three designs for this project

I'll have to look at cabinet options for them. Although I'm a speaker n00b, there's not much I can't do with wood. Hmm... what to do, what to do.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WinstonSmith
              I'll have to look at cabinet options for them. Although I'm a speaker n00b, there's not much I can't do with wood. Hmm... what to do, what to do.
              Well, here are the general rules: baffle width, height, and driver placement is pretty much a fixed quantity. Altering it significantly will change baffle step and diffraction characteristics. However, these would look superb with curved-side variant, and there is limited amount of wiggle room in baffle dimensions/shape to play with. Don't hesitate to inquire, and feel free to post in the main thread so other folks can see what you do and answers to your questions.

Whatever you do, have fun! For me that's the most important part of this all.

C

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                • Dec 2006

Well I found the BOM for the Natalie P's. Ordered everything plus the RS28s for the other speakers as well. Too bad I missed the special pricing on the RS180's but I have only my indecision to blame for that. Heh, I get to build three designs for this project

Can you help me please find the BOM for the Natalie P's?

Comment

• WinstonSmith
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by v1rtu0s1ty
                  Can you help me please find the BOM for the Natalie P's?
                  I'd be glad to. It's at the bottom of this post
                  Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 07:42 Monday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                    • Dec 2006

I'd be glad to. It's at the bottom of this post
                    ​

Thank you very much WinstonSmith!

Am I correct that, that BOM is for the price of 2 completed speakers? And also, using that BOM, is it for the tower type like the picture I attached on my thread? https://www.htguide.com/forum/showpo...6&postcount=21

Thanks again!
                    Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 07:44 Monday. Reason: Update url and quote

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Yes thats for 2 speakers but does not include building materials. The only difference between the regular and the towers is the enclosure it self. You might need an extra sheet of MDF but I doubt it. So it's probably just extra time and no extra expense as you already have to buy the MDF regardless of the enclosure type.

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        Yes thats for 2 speakers but does not include building materials. The only difference between the regular and the towers is the enclosure it self. You might need an extra sheet of MDF but I doubt it. So it's probably just extra time and no extra expense as you already have to buy the MDF regardless of the enclosure type.
                        I'm so sorry but what are those "building materials"?

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

MDF, Birch Plywood whatever you decide to build with. The wood. Screws, glue and whatever finish you use.

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                            MDF, Birch Plywood whatever you decide to build with. The wood. Screws, glue and whatever finish you use.
                            And one more please, do you have the link to the detailed measurement of the box for Chris' tower? What I'm looking for contains the sizes of the holes for the drivers and where the holes should be, the height of the tower (internally) so I can measure the mdf. I saw a link at natalie p's thread but the jpeg file wasn't detailed. Sorry, i'm very newbie on this.

Hopefully, someone can send the measurements of JonMarsh's towers too. I saw the thread about it and read that when he brought it to DIY Chicago, it really had good reviews from the audience!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"