o.k. I sold the PB12 Plus/2, ready for DIY sub....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric H
    • Nov 2006

o.k. I sold the PB12 Plus/2, ready for DIY sub....

My focus is shifting more to music than HT. I'm looking for improvement in sq over the SVS, and am willing to sacrifice some output. I'm leaning towards the dual Rythmik Servo 12" kit with two servo amps in a 4 cu. ft. sealed box set up for push/pull. Is this my best bet for around $1000, or can I do better? What would compete with/top this set-up?

Thanks, Eric.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

If you'd like to discuss what can be created as a $1000 DIY subwoofer project, we'll be most please to have that conversation. Those discussions are fun, and having fun is what this hobby is about..... :T

We will not engage in a compare/contrast thread involving Rythmik products, since Mr Ding has indicated he considers us unqualified to comment regarding his products.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ssabripo
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
      We will not engage in a compare/contrast thread involving Rythmik products, since Mr Ding has indicated he considers us unqualified to comment regarding his products.
      he did??? :E whoa! I missed the drama somehow! :lol:

Eric, welcome, and yes, we will help you as unbiased as we can...hehehe. There are several great people with lots of knowledge like ThomasW himself. Plenty of good designs and many options to try for $1000.

what are your listening habits? you leaning towards HT or music mostly? etc, etc.
      My simple HT setup
      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

When I put that into a sub, it was a sealed Adire Tumult with 1200W behind it.

These days I'd look seriously at a pair of 15's - Dayton RS HF, TC, O-Audio, or SoundSplinter.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Oaudio stopped selling drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eric H
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ssabripo
            what are your listening habits? you leaning towards HT or music mostly? etc, etc.
            Yes, I would still enjoy shaking the room from time to time, but deep, clean, and articulate bass is the priority over pure spl. I loved the SVS, but am ready for something different. I was also looking at using one of the LMS-4000/4100 driver sealed, but thought maybe two lower cost drivers would be a better option.

I didn't know that Brian, and some on the board, had a disagreement. That's unfortunate, as I think his products are very good. I was looking at 15"s, but space is an issure, and using a push/pull design will make the sub even bigger. What are people's opinion on push/pull, is it a legitimate improvement, or not really worth the trouble? I appreciate all of your help/opinions on this.

Thanks, Eric.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

push pull meaning Isobaric? Or are both drivers in phase, one facing in, one out (as M&K has done for hears). The former is irrelevant with the low distortion drivers we tend to work with 'round here. Well, not irrelevant, but you can get lower distortion using the two drivers as separate subs than only as one. The latter may be of some benefit but requires superb motor design and venting so you don't pick up any chuffing and whatnot off the back.

There is just no replacement for displacement. And all else being equal, more surface area will be cleaner than more excursion (XBL^2 motors aren't entirely "normal" in this regard but...)

Had not heard about O-audio and the name just popped out of memory as I was typing. Too bad. So many vendors seem to come and go.

If size is an issue a sealed Tumult may be a worthwhile consideration. Put some watts and a means of dealing with room modes and whatnot into the picture.

IMHO

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Modern driver technology is so good there's minimal benefit to using a push/pull design. Now one could look at the measured distortion components with test gear and those would drop some, I seriously doubt the effects would be audible.

Once you hit a certain level of design and build quality, all driver offer fundamentally the same performance. So it simply comes down to how much displace one wants to buy.

How big a box can you live with?

Please note:

There was no public discussion with Mr Ding. Via email he indicated that unless people had his level of education (Ph.d in electronical engineering) they weren't qualified to comment on his designs, or make recommendations regarding anyone elses designs. As a result we will no longer discuss Mr. Ding's designs on this forum

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• blueenergy
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Eric H
                  My focus is shifting more to music than HT. I'm looking for improvement in sq over the SVS, and am willing to sacrifice some output. I'm leaning towards the dual Rythmik Servo 12" kit with two servo amps in a 4 cu. ft. sealed box set up for push/pull. Is this my best bet for around $1000, or can I do better? What would compete with/top this set-up?

Thanks, Eric.
                  If you like the dual drivers similar to your SVS/2 then Rythmik also offers a Dual 12" 8ohm Servo kit with one amp. A push/pull configuration is not required either. This is in a sealed configuration with either shared 6ft^3 or divided with 3ft^3 each.
                  Rythmik 15" Servo project

Comment

• Eric H
                    • Nov 2006

I really didn't want to go over 6 cu. ft. but I suppose that I could go slightly larger. I would love to be able to run two 15's in a 6 cu. ft. box.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

A pair of 15"s either sharing a 6 cu ft box, or in individual 3 cu ft boxes. Combine that with something like the Behringer DEQ2496 (for EQ and an LT circuit) would be a very nice system.

You'd have the best of all possible worlds, high output, low distortion (a function of larger drivers not working hard) and that means good SQ.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"