X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wilk
    • Oct 2006

Program for box drawings

Does anyone got a good, cheap, easy to use program that they like for creating cabinet drawings?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Google sketch-up may do what you want

You can download other people models and modify them to get started

This will generate a cut list

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

Maybe it's just me (quite possible) but I've had issues getting Sketch-up to work for me. I just feel like I end up fighting with it too much.

Comment

• Wilk
        • Oct 2006

Well, to give it a try I started to draw a model of the wmtw center channel in the mission accomplished section of the forums. It took me about 4 hours to draw it to scale correctly. Now that I got a feeling for it, I could probably do it in about 1 hour.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I can usually build a test box in less time than it takes me to create a CAD drawing...:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Wilk
            • Oct 2006

Yea, if I was trying to compete with you though, I'd just have to break down and go dump 5K on a pair of speakers.

I'll keep that in mind though next time I need a test box.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Wilk
              I'll keep that in mind though next time I need a test box.
              I'm no speed demon building boxes, I'm just REALLY slow with CAD drawings. As a result I draw up the concept on a legal pad. If looks good, I do a fullsized layout directly on the wood for front baffle.

When I kloned the Legacy Whispers I made a fullsized pattern for the front baffle using the drivers themselves. Then I located the center of each and used that to mark to drill the pivot pin locations for the various cutouts using the Jasper Jig. Since there were essentially 4 baffles for the 2 Whisper speakers this step made everything much easier

When Jon and I were making his Wilson X-1 SLAMM klones he made full sized CAD prints on a huge plotter. Those were used as patterns to create the top modules..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Wilk
                • Oct 2006

I'm no speed demon building boxes, I'm just REALLY slow with CAD drawings. As a result I draw up the concept on a legal pad. If looks good, I do a fullsized layout directly on the wood for front baffle.
                I did it the same way for several years. I had been doing very simple DIY for a few years, but I quit 2 years ago because I lost interest. I never knew about this site untill just a few months ago. I used to just go to the book store modifiy exisiting designs to my needs. Calculated the crossovers with book formulas, and tweaked them by ear, with an assortment of decade boxes.

Since I have found this site you guys have sparked my interest back up. What sets you guys apart is the real measurement, and testing of your projects thoughout the design phase. That, and most of you back your info up with more than "cause I said so".(there is alot of bad info on the web in regards to acoustics and the "said so" clause.)

I have been thinking about a new 3 way LCR setup ever since I have found this site. It is fun to be doing DIY again, and have somewhere to go with questions for a change.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"