X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Building a speaker better then B&W 803s or higher

HI All,

So who has some great ideas to build a speaker better then the B&W 803s or higher.

Maybe use Scan Speak drivers?
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

I've noticed on this forum not too many members compare DIY's to commerically available speakers. I know some members that haven't heard commercially available speakers for many years. Not that it matters.

Scan speak would be a good way to go I think. Check out Zaph audio, they have some nice tower designs that you might be happy with.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
      • Nov 2006

When I first read this I just kinda shook my head and clicked away. But it actually raised some questions. I've listened to B&W 802D's a few times recently at the local shop, and would love to replicate some of their finer attributes - most notable is the ability to isolate notes so firmly in space, yet at the same time paint an incredibly wide, tall, and deep stage. Part of it could be the near perfect room and electronics, but I think part of it also is due to the speaker itself.

From reading the review on Stereophile, looking at the measurements, a lot of things look easily repeatable by the DIY'er. But one thing inparticular stood out - they put an accelerometer on the side of the cabinet and measure resonances, the 802 midrange pod has nada, zip, no resonances at all. So little that it barely even shows on the graph.

So it makes me think that building something that level is as much building the perfect enclosure as it is picking great drivers. It's not like that's any sort of revelation, we all knew it already ... but how do you really do it? How does a DIY'er with limited resources truly make resonance FREE cabinets?

I think the B&W approach of concentrating on making the midrange driver enclosure perfect is a good one. It's unlikely that you're going to make an enclosure large enough to house a pair of 8" drivers and it be resonance free, from vibration or internal reflections ... but it is conceivable to make something that can house a midrange and it be perfect.

Just bouncing around in my head would be using a spherical mold. Layers of fiberglass, bitumen sheets heated to fit the mold, and maybe lead sheets hammered and heated. I also remember seeing some site awhile back that markets 'perfect' spherical enclosures. Time to Google again

Comment

• TurboFC3S
        • Nov 2006

Actually here's that site ... quite possibly the worst website I've seen since 1993, but still worth a look

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"