X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

If you're interested in Waveguides then check these:

These are a rather unique design that are an adjustable open baffle with constant directivity waveguides:

Thought some of you with technical inclinations may find this design interesting. I'd like your thoughts too please. I'm a dealer for Brian but that's the only thing I'm a dealer for and do not do it for profit. So far the response has been very good and I'd like to hear what you guys think of the looks and design. Thanks
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

I don't know if that is a technically correct design, but man it looks brilliant! Definately an artistic statement. Anf that finish is drop dead gorgeous ;x( How was Mark Schifter involved? Just supplied the cabinets?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

Mark builds cabinets for Vmps as well as a number of other small speaker companies. These cabinets come here with unusually excellent craftsmanship and finishes for a very reasonable price. They use HDF too which can only help being as it's heavier.

Mark Schifter has been involved with so many audio companies over the years I can't keep track. The guy must work his ass off because he's got alot going on that I DO know about.

I'm sure it's technically correct. Brian has been building speakers since 1977. The current line up has had quite a few rave reviews and he doesn't advertise. The RM 40's won Best of CES in 2002 and runner up in 2003.

In my opinion I believe VMPS makes the best speakers for the money. Obviously there's people who may disagree and rightfully so as we're all entitled to our own opinion. At very minimum they're worth hearing when shopping in the various price ranges for speakers.

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Those make me wish I had shelled out the extra cash for the piano laquer finish on my Rocket 760s...
        ~Brandon 8O
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

How handy are you? I can tell you how to get that finish with whatever Rocket speaker finish you have.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Those are interesting speakers and beautiful cabs as usual from Mark's Chinese plant. The mods don't approve of promoting commercial designs and generally don't agree with Brian's design philosophy but we can probably get some DIY ideas there. I can already see a couple of things I don't like about the design but hey what the heck?

PS, they're folded dipoles, not waveguides, no matter what Brian claims.

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by warnerwh
              How handy are you? I can tell you how to get that finish with whatever Rocket speaker finish you have.
              Well, I'm just now learning woodworking since I just started DIYing. Just put togethre a decent little shop in my garage last week actually. So I'm up for a lesson in finishing...
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• warnerwh
                • Jan 2006

Dennis: I wasn't trying to promote it. I just wondered what you guys thought of it. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. There appears to be an excellent knowledge base here, better than any other forum I know of or so it seems.

I can say that that I don't agree with all of Brian's design choices either. We all have our own opinions as we should. That is what makes this hobby interesting.

Please don't refrain from any sort of criticism of Brian's designs or my opinions. I'm entirely capable of being wrong and appreciate the help. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean either person is wrong.

My apologies if taken otherwise. I'll try to be careful as I'm used to thinking of myself as an audiophile.
                Last edited by warnerwh; 17 December 2006, 00:38 Sunday.

Comment

• warnerwh
                  • Jan 2006

Well I'm far from a pro in finishing but I happen to know what they use. It's 3M glaze you can get from places like NAPA. Then a 7" buffer or something similar. Those orbital ones they sell for cars don't work nearly as well. This is a car glaze btw.

I'd thought about trying it a long time ago but had been worried about my finish. Then I found out the glaze is a car glaze anyway :driver: . Something I have alot of as well as probably at least 7-8 bottles of Meguirs various waxes.

I put two coats of glaze on so far but I used Meguirs Glaze. This helped significantly but it must take alot of coats. How many I don't know but ten or more may be necessary to get that super lustre.

It's actually fairly easy if you're careful to not damage your drivers. Also make sure your buffing pad has zero bits of anything but buffing pad in it or you'll scratch the heck out of your speakers fast. Please be very careful where you set it and that you clean your speakers before you start. :T

This is what I did and as I said I'm far from a pro. I put on the glaze and let it dry somewhat then took a towel and wiped off the excess. This way your buffing pad won't fill up so fast. Then buff it. I wouldn't try this by hand.

The 7" buffer I use I bought from Harbor Freight for 25 bucks and it works like a charm. I'm sure there's other makes of these inexpensive buffers at different stores. Of course you can buy a Dewalt or Porter Cable but that will cost alot more money and unless you have a use for it is not necessary.

What wood are your speakers? I've seen Mark's Rocket series and they're actually better than Vmps at the base. Mark uses a piano black gloss bases where Vmps uses a flat or satin black that doesn't look nearly so nice. I ended up doing the bases of my speakers with black lacquer and it looks much better imo.

Your speakers will definitely lustre up nicely. All the cabinets I've seen come from Mark's chinese factory have a very smooth finish that's perfect for finishing like this. It almost makes them sound better too

Best wishes to you on this. It is rewarding and fairly easy.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"