X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric_C
    • Nov 2006

BR-1 Making it better

A few months ago I bought a PE BR-1 DIY kit to see how I would do at assembly, soldering, etc.

We put them in my wife's workout room and while OK they are a bit low and moody.

Anything reasonable I can use in that box to brighten it up a bit or is not worth it and just do something from scratch with their pre-built boxes?

Maybe even brightening it up a lot and build a super cheap 8" sub to supplement it.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You could follow his lead...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• RandyMidd
      • Feb 2006

I totally have your solution

I was visiting a friend lastnight who coincidently has 4 - BR1's...this was my second visit to his place since he's owned them...my first impression of them was that they were nice but not very dynamic...flat...far from a live experience.

I recently bought a new BBE882i and took my old BBE processor over to him to see what it could do...he was fine with his speakers but I suspected the BBE would be a big improvement and sure enough it was night and day.

No need for critical listening the difference is instantly and jaw dropping noticible. :T

He offered to buy it from me on the spot... I just wanted to demonstate so he could hear what he's missing... I didn't intend to sell it or give it away...then he announced to his wife, "look what Randy gave us"...

I don't have it anymore...I sort of wanted to demonstate it to my brother who has the same problem...lifeless speakers.

Google "BBE 882i" to find retailers...also Ebay has them. You may be able to download a 30 day trial plugin and demo it for yourself using WMP, iTunes or the like. I've downloaded it but have never installed it...there's a link to it in a thread titled "Can a DEQ2496 sound like a BBE?" in this forum.

As for a subwoofer...my friend is running a 12" Dayton (which annoyingly trips off under what I consider only moderate conditions) ... I don't know what the BR1's sound like without a sub but I suspect those little speakers need one to sound decent...I remember playing with the receiver's crossover settings on the first visit and IIRC 150Hz was what my ears liked, which suggests to me your missing out on info below that... the BBE will improve the bass but it can only do so much.
      Last edited by RandyMidd; 17 December 2006, 13:59 Sunday.
      ...Randy

Comment

• Eric_C
        • Nov 2006

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've played them with a sub. When I first finished them I connected them to my RXV-2600 and left the LFE plugged in from my Deftech 7002s.

I only played them on the floor and granted the Technics POS receiver I have upstairs probably isn't helping too much.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"