X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

EQing a full-range line array

I got the go ahead from my wife to build a pair of line arrays for the bedroom! These will only be used for low volume music listening.

I have a few cases of the Parts Express NSBs that I picked up for $0.49 each. What I was going to do was build two thin lines with 20 of the NSBs in each, standing roughly 84" tall. The enclosures will be ~2 ft3 each, sealed, with a moderate amount of fill. Unibox shows f3 at 113 hz. and f10 at 75 hz.

I know above 3khz there are going to be comb lines beginning to form so I was wondering if you guys feel an active EQ will be able to mitigate the cancellations? Take into consideration I'll only have $20 in drivers and probably another $30 in wood and supplies so I'd like to keep the EQ price cheap. Any suggestions on what type to get? I'm thinking I'll need at least 15 bands but those start to get pricey. I've seen some stereo 10 bands go for next to nothing ($20 for an Audiosource on ebay two days ago). Also, with EQs like this I take it they're simple parametric? Any idea what Q they are set at? I do have a Feedback Destroyer that I never used due to picking up a DEQ2496 for my IB sub and was curious if that could do the trick as well?

Lastly, do you guys think I could get away with 1/2" MDF for a project like this? I was thinking 7W x 8D x 84H with either 4 or 5 different sealed chambers. That would be 50% less MDF dust in my garage along with more breathing room for the rear of the drivers.

Thanks!
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

I don't know if the Feedback Destroyer has filters as high as you may need them. I'm not aware of a cheap parametric equalizer and you do want a parametric. The best deal I know of is the DEQ 2496. I'm sure you could use the BFD for your sub and use the DEQ 2496 for the line arrays though. :T

Comment

• soho54
      • Dec 2005

Which Feedback Destroyer? The DSP1124, or the FBQ2496?

With the DSP I would be hesitant, if it's the FBQ I'd give it a try.
      Actually, I'd give either one a shot before I bought something else. This is for the bedroom.

Comment

• warnerwh
        • Jan 2006

I'd just use the FBQ2496 for the IB subs and move the DEQ to the bedroom.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"