X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Would someone run some numbers please?

I'm curious as to the frequency response of this subwoofer I'm building. The box internal volume is 8.5 cu ft. The driver is the Dayton 15" high fidelity.
    What I'd like to know is how to adjust my Behringer DEQ 2496 to make the Q .5.

Btw all is coming along well. Haven't downloaded pics to my computer but will soon. All I need now is my router.

I also need to trim some edges. I'm not sure if I should just take an orbital sander and some 80 grit or try to do it with the router some how. There's edges about 1/16". I will have to finish the outside very smoothly, not something I'm used to doing this finely as I'm painting it with gloss black acrylic lacquer. Any flaws and they'll stick out I'm sure you guys know. I can do the painting part but working with mdf is different.

Thank you guys for all the help. This first one has been enjoyable and you guys have made it more so. I will have to build another for our HT system as we don't have one. We use Legacy Classics for mains and the bass sucks. I'll do it when I'm done with this one.
  • Chris7
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by warnerwh
    I also need to trim some edges. I'm not sure if I should just take an orbital sander and some 80 grit or try to do it with the router some how. There's edges about 1/16".
    You can do it either with a flush trim router bit or with an orbital sander. It's a personal choice. With MDF I usually use a sander because the material is soft and cuts away so easily.

I will have to finish the outside very smoothly, not something I'm used to doing this finely as I'm painting it with gloss black acrylic lacquer. Any flaws and they'll stick out I'm sure you guys know. I can do the painting part but working with mdf is different.
    One thing to watch for is that MDF isn't inert... it expands laterally with the moisture content of the air. This means that butt joints end up being telegraphed under a gloss finish or a thin veneer if you're not very careful. (i.e. You can sand the surface smooth, finish it, then come back two weeks later and the butt joints have appeared.) Different people have different ways of handling this. Some people use heaters to get all the moisture out, then apply a sealant to both the exterior *and* interior (as a moisture barrier) before finishing.

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

Geeze, now you tell me. I don't know what I'm going to do then. I think I'll look at veneer at Home Depot. Haven't done that either but may be the safer route.

Thanks for the info on trimming. I think I'll just use a sander as I've got zero experience with a router.

Also I just downloaded Winisd. Didn't know it was free and will figure out how to do the numbers on my own hopefully.

Comment

• Ray_D
        • Apr 2005

Download Unibox Too

I like Unibox. It's also free.

Ray

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

Ray I found that one the other night but can't do anything in it as it wants a password. I don't know how to use Excel either but do have it. Thanks for the info. I'm pleased I got WinIsd for free as this isn't something I'd planned on doing alot.

Then again this first sub is so fun I'm going to build an HT sub. We don't even have a sub for our HT system and sure could use one. At least I think so, the two females here probably won't care. That's one of the reasons I need to do a nice job on the finish on the sub I"m building because my wife won't mind if the HT sub looks nice and is fairly small.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Unibox isn't password protected. It does contain Macros, so what you need to do is go into your Excel settings (with no worksheets open) then enable Macros...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• warnerwh
              • Jan 2006

Thanks Thomas, I'll do that now. It looks like Unibox is more elaborate than WinIsd.

Well I changed to for Macros. I don't see a way to turn it off completely. Unibox won't let me change anything unless I have a password. If I open a new workbook it's a blank Excel spreadsheet. How do I open a blank Unibox page. The one it opens to has all the boxes filled in for a Focal driver.

What does SD mean? This is for a Dayton HIFI 15". I don't know what to put in either for LE2 or RE2 and it won't let me put zero.

Thanks

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

In my experience, Unibox only asks for the password if you attempt to edit a box your not allowed to edit. You can only edit numbers in blue. If you try and edit a red number it will ask for a password.

You need to just overwrite the parameters for the Focal with the correct ones, change the name, then hit save in the database box.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Here's a thread I set up as a little tutorial for Unibox.

The thread has a bunch of attachments that show the various data entry points.

As Ryan said you can only enter values in the Blue Fields the Red Fields are locked.

Sd is the surface area of the cone. Use 806 cm^2 for the RS 15" reference woofer

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• warnerwh
                    • Jan 2006

I'll read that this evening Thomas. We should get together and get you a Christmas present because while researching on this site I see you help alot of people alot of the time. Thanks again.

I hope you guys didn't start a new addiction for me. I'm pretty excited about this as it is very enjoyable.

Comment

• Paul H
                      • Feb 2004

I'll read that this evening Thomas. We should get together and get you a Christmas present because while researching on this site I see you help alot of people alot of the time. Thanks again.
                      Yes he certainly has. :T

I hope you guys didn't start a new addiction for me. I'm pretty excited about this as it is very enjoyable.
                      I'm betting it's too late - you're addicted

Comment

• warnerwh
                        • Jan 2006

Maybe you're right. This sub isn't even done and I'm already researching doing an HT sub for upstairs. So far it looks like one of the Dayton 15" subs will be a good choice but I'll ask. Quality isn't real important here, just sensitivity and a small box size. After I told my wife I'm going to build a HT sub you should have seen her eyes 8O

Then she says "you're not putting a box like that in OUR living room". I do believe the OUR she raised her voice on meant "her" living room, if you know what I mean. Then I told her I could build a smaller one and she still was against the idea.

Oh well you'll be hearing about my HT sub in the not too distant future. As for my wife ;s@

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

Then she says "you're not putting a box like that in OUR living room". I do believe the OUR she raised her voice on meant "her" living room, if you know what I mean. Then I told her I could build a smaller one and she still was against the idea.
                          Uh huh. You're a prime candidate for an IB. Best SQ you've ever heard and nothing shows in the room except a grill (cloth, wood, metal, whatever) that blends in with the wall/ceiling/floor where you mount it. If you own your home there's really no good reason I can think of to build anything else. Cheap, good sound, easy to build, the wife loves it, what's not to like?

Comment

• warnerwh
                            • Jan 2006

Dennis: I considered it but the rear wave would be very audible upstairs. I've read many raves about IB subs.

My listening room is a dedicated man cave. The females here only come in to release some words from their system. I also spent 400 on materials for the ceiling to help isolate my room from the upstairs. That way I can turn it up without much going through.

On this side of my listening room wall is a my computer and a vintage stereo with Dynaco A 25s. With the sound barely turned up on the A25's in here you can hear it upstairs very well. There's only the floor and the joists so obviously not much to isolate the sound.

In my listening room I have to turn it up quite a bit before you hear sound from my listening room. Actually some bass comes through but not bad or annoyingly loud. The HT system is directly above my main system so it had been very important to isolate the two rooms the best I knew how.

The placement for the IB driver would have had to be here and it would definitely put too much bass upstairs. Even with my ceiling having a lot of mass and resilient channel, two walls are concrete as well as the floor, I still rattle the windows two stories up. According to my wife this bothers her when she's trying to sleep during some of my late night listening sessions. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"