X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Question about Jasper Jig

The directions say to face the counterbore side down. This puts the numbers on the bottom. Apparently you mount the jig to your router.

Is this incorrect, are the numbers supposed to be up? It seems to me that it shouldn't matter.

I have a box with five sides all sealed and ready for bracing. Forgot to get hot glue while at Home Depot today. I'm getting pretty excited. Good thing I went with one driver instead of two cause this is a very large box.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

The counterbored side is down so that the surface contacting the material is smooth. If you install it the other way around, the screws will not be flush.

Just follow the directions and things will be ok.
    Danish

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
      The counterbored side is down so that the surface contacting the material is smooth. If you install it the other way around, the screws will not be flush.

Just follow the directions and things will be ok.
      Good Point! Thank you!

Comment

• oxcartdriver
        • Apr 2006

On my smaller jig the numbers are down, but on the larger jig the numbers are up while in use. The smaller jig for holes approx 2.5-18in, and the larger jig for holes up to approx 52in.

I definitely prefer the numbers on the top, as a final check before plunging the router.

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

Well I've got the larger one and it will need to be mounted to the router with the numbers down. This makes no sense to me especially when there's so many small holes next to each other. I will mark the proper hole with a felt pen.

Why they designed this jig like this I don't know. I've never used a router so maybe there's more of the time where the numbers would be where you could see them.

Comment

• Ecir38
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by warnerwh
            I will mark the proper hole with a felt pen.
            Don't mark up your jig, just place the center pin in the hole you will be using and mark it on the topside by outlining the center pin with masking tape.

BR
            BR

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

It is this way, because the printing proccess used to put the numbers on. If you notice, the numbers are printed on the top side. If you mount it upside down, like you are proposing, then as you use it, you will rub the numbers off.

Just put the pin in first, then into the wood.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• warnerwh
                • Jan 2006

"Just put the pin in first, then into the wood."

Why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"