Peerless Exclusive drivers, impressions??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

Peerless Exclusive drivers, impressions??

With all the talk of the slim RS WMTW center I got to looking at options outside of the RS line for a new project.

It looks like the Peerless Exclusive 4" can be coupled with the DC26 for a total driver height of 6.5".

Problem is I have not seen a whole lot of information on these. Anybody here used them? Care to share your impressions? I know Jon bought some of the larger ones but I doubt he has had a lot of time to do anything with them.
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I've only done some measurements on them, haven't had time to try a system. I've heard the smaller one's measure pretty well but the Xmax is low so you have to be careful about choosing a crossover point. 300 Hz to 2500-3000 Hz for the 881.

It will go lower than a dome, but not as high. Another decent driver in this size range is the Eton 5-880. It's pricey compared with an RS, but it would be easier to work with. Eton improved it a few years ago compared with the original version. I'm sure there are others of interest, but it really depends on the price range that's interesting. Once you get used to the RS bang for the buck, it's not easy to consider other options.

Note that I think splitting the BSC area between multiple drivers is asking for a headache in the crossover design... think carefully. I believe a dome mid and higher crossover might make more sense. Even Neo8, as I suggested to Brian Bunge today.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

I have 2 of the 830883 drivers in my 2 1/2 way towers. I can't comment at all on how they measure. Only how they sound.

At 75 bucks a piece, I think they are fantastic. I was not so convinced at first, but things have come around nicely. I love the midrange tone they have. I also like the mid bass they are capable. (Not nearly as much as a scan speak, but nice nonetheless)

This is the 7" version, so that may be of no help at all.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dawaro
        With all the talk of the slim RS WMTW center I got to looking at options outside of the RS line for a new project.

It looks like the Peerless Exclusive 4" can be coupled with the DC26 for a total driver height of 6.5".

Problem is I have not seen a whole lot of information on these. Anybody here used them? Care to share your impressions? I know Jon bought some of the larger ones but I doubt he has had a lot of time to do anything with them.

I used the 4" exclusive but find that it lacks detail above 2Kish, so I'd recommend a crossover not much higher than that. Overall, a pretty smooth and laid back presentation but not the final say in microdynamics and resolution.

Comment

• Mark K
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Jed
          I used the 4" exclusive but find that it lacks detail above 2Kish, so I'd recommend a crossover not much higher than that. Overall, a pretty smooth and laid back presentation but not the final say in microdynamics and resolution.

I'm curious if you used this alone or in a 3 way?
          www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mark K
            I'm curious if you used this alone or in a 3 way?
            I used it with an RS225 and Accuton C12. Both of the units (881) had a dip at the 2.5K region, verified by Roman's measurements- this obviously not present in the published specs. That might be part of what I/we were hearing. Energy Storage? Not sure. Roman is using a 2.2K crossover with seemingly excellent results.

Comment

• Mark K
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Jed
              I used it with an RS225 and Accuton C12. Both of the units (881) had a dip at the 2.5K region, verified by Roman's measurements- this obviously not present in the published specs. That might be part of what I/we were hearing. Energy Storage? Not sure. Roman is using a 2.2K crossover with seemingly excellent results.
              what was the lower xover point?
              www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

300hz LR2

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed

well, for that you might want something more like a C152-T8-82. But at 3-4X the cost, it better be usable to 3 kHz.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    well, for that you might want something more like a C152-T8-82. But at 3-4X the cost, it better be usable to 3 kHz.
                    Yup- the Peerless is a very nice value and excellent performer. Maybe my critique was a bit harsh.

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                      C152-T8-82.
                      This one seems well respected by a bunch of folks, but I find the distortion data not all that great. 3rd order products rise over .6% throughout much of the 500-2K region IIRC.

Jed
                      Last edited by Jed; 15 December 2006, 22:58 Friday.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"