X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Can you cut driver holes with a jigsaw?

Just wonder because with the size of holes I'm cutting for a 15" driver it seems ike using a jig saw would work fine. It may not be as pretty but nobody will see it anyway. Anyone do their holes this way?

I'm just reluctant to buy a router especially since I don't like buying cheap tools. I will have a Jasper Jig Tuesday however. Maybe I can rent a router somewhere.

Thanks
  • Chris7
    • Dec 2006

Yes, that'll work fine. You do have to practice a bit if you're not good with using a jigsaw accurately, but it's not that bad, and for a 15 inch driver it doesn't have to be perfect. I wouldn't do tweeter cutouts that way, though I know one guy who did.

Around here, Home Depot rents routers, but you should be fine without needing one.

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the input. I've never used a router but am skilled enough with a jigsaw to stay within plus or minus a sixteenth of an inch.

I may rent a router anyway. I do have a Jasper Jig on it's way and others seem to think very highly of it. If this project goes well I'll build another for our home theater only the box will need to be smaller and nicer. If that's the case I may end up buying one as I'd also like to build my daughter a pair of speakers. She listens to music daily and often for long periods through some old Infinitys I refoamed for her. The only scary part is that soundproofing her room should probably be the next upgrade I do for her. :M

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

you dont need an expensive router for mdf- mine was less than $50
        you will probably want a circle jig from parts express

it makes finishing the edges a lot more easy than sanding

i use to use a jig but the fit between the basket and opening must be so percise that you will have to sand - the flip side will be that the screw hole is too close to the edge because you went too far and the mdf splits... all depends on what quality you are going for for the box

i do not have an ideological opposition to cheap power tools (except craftsman) as one of my most reliable has been a $12 black and decker rechargable screwdriver/drill.

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

I always use a jigsaw for surface mounted drivers. No reason not to and it's much faster.

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

If you fill out your location, maybe someone here will speak up and help you out.

I know that I was very very thankful for Chris (CJD). During my first sub build, I was in the same spot as you. Chris spoke up and said that if I brought my wood over, he would do the recess holes for me. He lives on the far north side, so it was about an hour drive, but it was worth it to meet with him, bounce idea off, and get some good help.

Lots of us are friendly people, so put your location in and maybe you'll get lucky.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
              • May 2006

I used a jigsaw on my 15" sub but the hole for the sub wasn't measured right so it came out kinda funny. If you know how to use a jigsaw though, you should be able to do the cut without a router.

Comment

• relder
                • Jul 2005

Jigsaws make much less dust and mess then a router does. I always cut holes with a jigsaw and then if flush mounting the driver only then do I break out the router and circle jig.

Comment

• DougyD19
                  • Nov 2006

The thinner the blade width, the easier it is to turn the jigsaw while cutting. If your jigsaw supports speed settings, you can slow it down so it doesn't cut as fast, handy for smaller holes.

Comment

• warnerwh
                    • Jan 2006

Now I'm really confused. I do like to do a good job whenever I do something. I'd think mdf would be easy to work with, easier than wood probably.

I'll know how much lattitude I have when the driver and Jasper Jig get here tomorrow. I may go ahead and buy a cheap router because the only thing it would get used for is speakers.

If anybody lives in the Portland/Vancouver area let me know if you could loan me a router because at this point it just seems I don't need one. My garage is full of both hand and power tools tools but at 53 I've never needed a router.

It would be nice to cut a groove for the outer edge of the frame too.

If I can figure out how to post pictures here I'll let you see what it looks like and the construction of the interior. I'm very mechanically inclined but that doesn't mean I can't make a mistake even with something this simple.

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

You need a router to use the Jasper jig.

Comment

• warnerwh
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                        You need a router to use the Jasper jig.
                        I realize that and paying 30 bucks just for that seems silly being as I'll have the ability to make a nice hole, at least I hope I have the ability

Tomorrow my stuff will be here and I'll no doubt go into a mode where nothing will matter except getting my sub built. I'll probably end up buying a cheap router because I think I can get away with it considering it's intended use.

It only dawned on me a couple of days ago that a jigsaw could make a pretty accurate cut being as the hole is so large.

I'd like to round the corners of the front baffle and set the driver in but have no idea how much skill I'll be needing.

Comment

• Chris7
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by warnerwh
                          I'll probably end up buying a cheap router because I think I can get away with it considering it's intended use.
                          I'd like to round the corners of the front baffle and set the driver in but have no idea how much skill I'll be needing.
                          If you're planning on doing roundovers, be aware that you can only purchase 3/4 inch roundover bits for routers with a 1/2 inch shank. Routers with the smaller 1/4 inch shanks can't handle it. That's something to consider when shopping if you plan to do a lot of speaker building. The price differential for the larger routers isn't that much these days.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"