X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nvrgdenuf
    • Dec 2006

Magnepan MMG-w hybrid

Looking for some opinions on drivers to match the MMGw to fill the lower frequencies. I have looked at the experiments by Thomas and others, but I am thinking more of a Martin Logan type setup using the RS180 or RS225 utilizing the Behringer x-over that Thomas used. I have found most of the Logans (and some other ESL's) to use an 8inch driver ported with a x-over between 225 and 400hz. I have read the critical midrange to be approximately 200-3khz and not to x-over in that range.
    What I was thinking to do was to use the mmgw panel down to approximately 125-225hz and the dayton reference series driver down to an f3 of about 40hz with a slightly lower in room. The Behringer cx2310 would allow me to play with x-over fq's and slopes or the dcx2496 would allow many x-over designs fq's and slopes. I was thinking of using the RS180 in push-pull like the m&k speakers.
    If this plays out I would consider using the Magnepan MC1 in the same setup and move the mmgw to the rear.
    One thing to mention is that I do want the speakers close to the wall behind them.
    Any thoughts or input (guidance), or other ideas would be most appreciated.
    thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I don't see any benefit to push/pull mounting a 7" driver. I'd probably go with a 10" or 12"

I don't consider the MMG-W's to be adequate to the task to operate as the mid/tweeter since the top end is so limited

The standard MMG's are SOOOO much better, all they need is a woofer and they sing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nvrgdenuf
      • Dec 2006

Hi Thomas,
      The reason I wanted to use the mmgw was to stay close to the wall. I thought if that worked out, that I could then use the MC1. I read in your posts where someone had suggested that Wendell thought the MC1 to best the MMG but it doesn't say what his reasons were. The MMG was my first thought but three feet off the wall isn't possible.
      If I was to utilize a 10 inch woofer, what would you recommend for a x-over frequency, type and slope?
      As always I do appreciate any time and thought you direct my way.(I also know that you are extremely knowledgeable on this subject).
      Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I see no reason why the MMG's can't be mounted at an angle near the wall. I know Wendell doesn't recommend it but others have done it.

Having experimented with both the MMG and the MMG-W, I can't possibly recommend anyone buy the MMG-W, their performance is just too disappointing.

I experimented trying to get the MMG-W to sound good with a woofer, it was driving me nuts because nothing I did worked. The sweet spot was tiny, there weren't any high frequencies, and on and on. So I decided to grab one of my MMGs and put it on the woofer box and 'presto!' one great sounding speaker.

My recommendation if you can't do MMGs, don't bother with MMG-Ws, buy a regular box speaker instead.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mdrake
          • Apr 2008

Surround Sound

I agree with 100% on the MMGW's there highs are lacking and they hard to match to a woofer. Do you think they will work for Surround sound duty or should I send them back and mount some MMG's to the wall?

Thanks,
          Matt

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

If you have room (the space) to mount MMGs I'd go with them, otherwise use the MMGW..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mdrake
              • Apr 2008

Thanks!! I have a 13x16 foot dedicated HT room. Will this be enough room to use MMG's as surround mounted to the wall? I want to use MC1's as the mains.

Matt

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"