X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jordamn
    • Nov 2006

howdy folks- first time builder

been a lurker here for some time and have decided on what i think i would like to spend my money on. I have about 4 hundred dollars (us) i would like to spend over the next couple of months on a set of speakers. I think i want to build a set of floorstanding natalie p's (70music/30movies) but have a couple of questions before i start shelling out my money.

- want to build a box close to the design of the one below, my woodworking skills are good but i have heard of a couple of programs to help design them (unibox is the only one that comes to mind), but have never seen any links to them, are they freeware/shareware or do you have to buy them

-this will be my first home speaker system i will have built and have never before put together a crossover (but have a brother that does electronics for a living) he looked at the schematics and said it would be a piece of cake. what type of wire do i use between the capacitors/resistors/coils?

- will the box design programs help tune a box with a port to a certain khz or is their a formula for this? (i know nothing about this)

sorry for the length and i am sure i will have more questions....thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Spend sometime reading the NatP thread and you'll understand why the design can't be placed in a faceted box like the M8a-ta.

The crossover for the NatP design or any other design is specific to certain baffle dimensions and shape. Any changes in dimension or shape means a completely new crossover must be designed.

So you can build the NatP or the M8a-ta, but the designs can't be merged unless you're a very advanced speaker designer and builder.

There are links to Unibox and other freeware programs in the reference threads in the Missions Accomplished section.

Note that box design programs do not design the box for you. They simply make box design easier for people who already understand the design process. Yes the design programs are helpful with regard to calculating the Fb.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"