X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darren700
    • Oct 2006

quick sonosub question

i am nearing completion of my ported sonosub and have one question. is it a must to put some type of dampening or foam on the inside of the sonosub? what exactly is the gain from doing this? and can i get away without it? thanks for any help. also would the typical yellowish egg carton foam do anything?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Line the interior surface with a layer of R-13 fiberglass insulation.

Is it a 'must', yes IMO it is, since I've never heard a sub where the performance wasn't improved with the addition of this damping.

And believe me I've heard a lot of DIY subs....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• darren700
      • Oct 2006

is it easy to get a hold of? like would i be able to find it at home depot or something?

edit: wait im dumb, are you talking about the pink housing insulation? if so how do i attach it? hot glue?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by darren700
        dit: wait im dumb, are you talking about the pink housing insulation? if so how do i attach it? hot glue?
        Yes regular old pink stuff. Hot glue is the easiest thing with a tube.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• darren700
          • Oct 2006

ok thanks for your help also would it affect the tuning in any way? i beleive i recall stuffing a box tricks the woofer into thinking its abigger box?

Comment

• nick77
            • Apr 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture378.webp
Views:	43
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	943910

You can peel the r-13 into layers and line the tube. Its a little to thick to use just by itself. I used spray adheseve to attach the lining.
            Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 23:14 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by darren700
              ok thanks for your help also would it affect the tuning in any way? i beleive i recall stuffing a box tricks the woofer into thinking its abigger box?
              You have to put a fair amount of it in before it starts having a significant impact on the tuning.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"