X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timbo
    • Jan 2006

Open baffle project

Ok, i'll throw this out there and hope no one comes over here and hits me over the head with my keyboard.

I would like to build Dipole main speakers. I have looked at many of the threads here, Arvo, Bob, NaO and Orion. On pure asthetics, I am really drawn to the Acapella design.

Now for the fun stuff. Could someone (I) build tha Acapella design and use Orion parts... the correct Orion dimensions to baffle size and speaker placement, get the active XO from Sigfried and the correct drivers and be somewhat sucessful ? Oh by the way I would want to have both 10" foward firing...(that asthetics thing again)

I know it would not be an "Orion" but would it be close?

Timbo
  • Doug Lockwood
    • Mar 2005

I couldn't find a link to the speaker you referenced.
    In general, If the baffle is the same dimensions, and the drivers are in the same positions, the results should be similar.
    Part of it is your goals. If you are trying to replace a pair of Martin Logan's, any changes may be obvious. If you are upgrading from Mass Market bookshelves, probably not an issue.

By the way, the woofers are apposing in order to minimize harmonic distortion. Having both face forward would no longer cancel the even order harmonics. My WAG is that the change would be room and volume dependant. At moderate volumes in a small to medium size room, you may not notice the difference. In a larger room at symphonic levels, it may make the base muddy.

Good Luck.

Doug

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TomK
        • Mar 2005

Are you sure we aren't talking about these?

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

A Troels-style open baffle could work but I think you'd need to modify the crossover. Several of the Orion filters (notch filters, time delays, etc.) are specific to SL's cabinet and would need to be changed. So, if you have measuring gear and are comfortable with SL's filters page, go for it.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TomK
            Are you sure we aren't talking about these?

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/AcapellaSEas.htm
            Probably, but since we're not psychic, there's a 'Read Me First' sticky thread asking people to please post links to products they're referencing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The Troels design is open baffle mid, sealed LF Orion is a close to full range dipole. Very different crossover requirements.

Also, the shape and location of driver on the diople baffle has a large effect on the raw frequency response, so any "cosmetic changes" even with the same drivers normally necessitates adjustment to the crossover transfer function.

Not that you can't make a speaker using the same drivers as the Orion but in a Troels style open mid enclosure, but it is really a new design nearly from scratch.

Have fun!

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Timbo
                • Jan 2006

My bad....

Yes, that is the speaker design I am referring to. My plan was keep it all open baffle, full range, sort of a flattened U shape. Not have a sealed LF box. I guess keeping the "H" frame di-pole woofs could be still incorporated in the overall "Look"

On another issue.....pros and cons of ports vs. passive radiators....

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"