X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Whole House cabling?

If I want to run component/fiber optic cable throughout my house...what would I need? How would I get a spool/in-wall connectors/crimper?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by maseline_98
    If I want to run component/fiber optic cable throughout my house...what would I need? How would I get a spool/in-wall connectors/crimper?
    Personally, I would think about running digital coax instead of digital fiber cable. It is much more forgiving and easier to work with. You can get a 1000 foot spool of good quality RG6 coax and run 4 cables (3 for component, 1 digital audio) from your head end to where ever you are going.

If you insist on using fiber a local data supply house will have fiber for sale on spools. Usually they will teach you how to terminate and polish and test it in the store. Then they will sell you all the tools you need to attach the ends to it. You will probably find that the cost of tools and sometimes the frustration of getting the connectors to work properly can be more than it is worth. There are also several companies that sell coax to fiber converters for a reasonable price. That way you could pull the coax I suggested and if you have to use fiber buy a pair of canverters and convert the coax to digital.

Chuck

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Assuming you're talking about networking needs, let me suggest Cat5e. Alot of it.
      I just built a house and all the rooms have one Cat5e jack, although I wish I had ran more, maybe 2-4 jacks in an entertainment/theater room.
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

compenent and fiber optic are obsolete
        not to mention toslink cant run that far to begin with

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

So...I need 4 spools of RG6 coax cable(I'm assuming this is the same cable that i use for my comcast? And if so, why would I need to run 3 cables for the video...shouldn't I be able to split the cable in to RGB for component or Am i Missig something? I wasn't aware that coax could be converted to digitial audio or to component. Also, How do I make it so I have female plugs on each end(so I can just connect my devices via in-wall jack). Are they just standard RCAs?

EDIT: I was reading on AVS and found that a 'baluns' over cat5 could work...I would keep me from having to run multiple cables with one of these on each end: http://sewelldirect.com/Intelix-HDTV...site-balun.asp

Has anybody had experience with this?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• J Walker
            • May 2006

As "Chasw98" said earlier. Your local cable supply store can usually supply you with wall plates, connectors tools and all other parts and tools that will make you look like a PRO.

In answer to your question. All of the wall plates I use, in commercial A/V installs, have "pass through" connectors on the plate. Meaning (in the case of RCA, BNC or F connectors) the connector is a dual female, barrel connector, bolted to the plate. This allows you to use the same connectors on both sides of the wall.

I found this link to a plate supplier.
            Hope it helps.

RG6 cable has only 2 conductors. So when running RGB over RG6, 3 cable runs are required, because each color needs it's own cable. (Red, Green and Blue) Then the 4th RG6 is used for digital audio.

I have used quite a few of the Audio/Video to cat5 converters, namely Altinex and Extron, in commercial installs. They work well enough for normal presentation video but for HDTV I am not sure. (never pushed the video resolution above 1024x768. My customers never wanted it and most projectors "I" install are XGA native.)

Comment

• maseline_98
              • Apr 2005

I think I'm starting to get a better understanding as to what I have to do....BTW...THX FOR THE LINK!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"