• Dec 2005

acusta-stuff alternative

a little pricy for a 10 ft^3 sonotube and 4 ft^3 in speaker volume

any cheaper alternatives

ive read that this is accousticaly the "best" any opinions
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

I have one, made by my company, so I hesitate to talk about it here. It was developed as a super insulator, and is in lots of cold weather gloves, coats, parkas, sleeping bags, etc. Turns out to be an excellent acoustic absorber. I will talk to the engineers and do some testing on my own. That's my disclaimer. I'm not about selling the stuff to DIY'ers, so no personal profit for me, and any DIY income would not affect the bottom line at my company (BIG). I just want to tell you guys about it IF it works well in cabinets. I don't know how yet, but if it can be proven to outperform fiberglas and other, much more expensive fiber, I'll tell you and you can buy it in a retail form. When I get time, I'll discuss with the engineers.
    Boss: if this post is inappropriate, feel free to delete.
    -Hank

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

thanks
      let us know
      accousta stuf is too expensive imo

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

I keep hearing that the "best" is long fiber wool, and that's supposed to cost a lot more than that.

I remember buying some generic sewing supply stuff like this at Walmart ages ago for a quarter of what audio places charge. Here's an ebay example, but shipping would be a third of the cost: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=116679

Maybe one of the gurus can fill us in on whether something like this would get the job done.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Acousta-Stuff is a crimpled polyester. It's crimped characeristics make it superior to generic polyester

Fiberglass is best for absorbing low frequencies.

Long fiber wool IMO sounds best for midrange, but it's really spendy and not the best choice in climates where moths are an issue.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

that brings me to my next question
            where does one get roles of fiberglass that dont have paper backing
            or is one ment th just peal the backing off

in otherwords where do you guys get fiberglass and what type
            do you line the sides compactly or line the sides but fluff it out a bit
            in my sealed box it is loose and fluffed out to fill the enclosure...

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Fiberglass is available with or without paper backing. And of course it's available at any home center store.

No one would 'fluff' fiberglass, given the explosion of tiny glass particles that would go everywhere.

Line the interior surfaces. Add more if needed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

home depot doesnt have it here...or atleast dont know where they keep it

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peterS
                  home depot doesnt have it here...or atleast dont know where they keep it
                  .... :roll:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

thats the face i made when the showed me the 6 ft roles of paper backed

non paper backed fiber glass should be sold for electrical stuff in smaller quantities id assume

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Fiberglass is best for absorbing low frequencies.
                      Yup. And almost anything can absorb mid and high frequencies -- that's easy. So, fiberglass is the best absorber, period. No reason I can think of to use anything else. It's the best absorber and it's dirt cheap too. What's not to like?

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

This is a home construction material we're talking about, so of course it's sold in big rolls. The small rolls are 14.5" wide and ~24' long with or without paper.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

what i was refering to was yellow and in a small bag... not realy relavent for the sonotube though- but was able to find it years ago but not now
                          just like to complain about home depot whenever possible...

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

I got a roll of Owens Corning Unfaced R30 from Lowes. Just looking at the packaging, it can be a bit deceiving that it is unfaced, because behind the plastic wrapper they wrap it in a single layer of paper. So, when you look at it, it looks like it is faced, but it isn't.

So, check Home Depot (or Lowes or Menards or your faviorate local home builder store) again. I bet they have it.

I'm trying to remember here, but I think the stuff marked "For walls" is usually faced, and the stuff marked "For Attics" is usually unfaced. Its something like that. (Walls the fibre gets put up before the d.w. and the paper holds it in place, but in attics it goes in after the d.w., so it doesn't need the paper)
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"