X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNRRClassic
    • Nov 2006

Modula MTM or MT???

First off, thanks for the great forum. I have been looking around for a bit , but have not posted until today. I have been a diy car audio guy for more than 15 years, but haven't done the diy thing for home until now. My ancient tube amp receiver was tolerable until it utterly died.

Here is my question...Which do you think I would prefer, the Modula MTM (non-ported) or the Modula MT/Mark K (non-ported)? Here are the guidelines...They will be used for HT mains and for general music listening. I am also doing a subwoofer to cover the low end. The volume levels will be moderate at most, never extremely loud. The room is not the best insofar as acoustics. It is a "bonus room" above the garage. It has about a 12 foot ceiling in the centre of the room with the ceiling angling down to about 5 foot high side walls. I would like a good soundfield, and have seen some MTMs that have had poor off axis response, but have never heard the Modula MTMs.

What do you think? I am open to whatever suggestions might come up.

Thanks.

Matt
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Sealed, any of the RS180 speakers will really want a subwoofer- even for just music. If it's a small room and you're not listening too loudly, either of the MT designs should be sufficient.

I have the Modula MT, and it's quite good- easily better than anything I've heard commercially for $300. The other designs are only supposed to be better, with the Modula MTM having the most sophisticated crossover. It's a very low crossover point, so the off-axis dispersion is better than a lot of MTMs.

Check your budget, and make sure your receiver is good for 4 ohms. I think you'll be very happy with any of these projects.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• TNRRClassic
      • Nov 2006

My receiver is good for 4 of 8 ohm speakers. It is a Sony ES home theatre 7 channel. My budget is open, but needs to remain reasonable. Either of the two designs are within my budget. As I said, I am also doing a good sub, so the low end is not as much of a concern.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It's nice to have the headroom provided by the doubled midwoofers in the MTM. And the inherent distortion is of course lower since the workload split between the midwoofers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dan B
          • Feb 2005

It seems to me that MTM's have more slam or impact, (cool for movies) but maybe it's my imagination.
          Dan B

My Projects

Comment

• happy
            • Mar 2006

What about the Natalie P? It sounds awesome and is about right in the middle of the two budget wise while using the same drivers.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"