X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

Source for green glue by the tube ?

I'd like to try the fabled "green glue" for a constrained layer, but can only find it by the case ($177 + shipping). Anyone know where to purchase it by the tube?

Is contact cement the best alternative?
    Paul

• Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Comment

• SoundBob
      • Oct 2007

does green glue work? I heard it dries out after a while cos its between gypsum

Comment

• crazybastard
        • Oct 2007

Try Hawthorne audio. they sell singles.

Comment

• crazybastard
          • Oct 2007

btw...I've called and talked to the manufacturer about this stuff. It leaves air gap between the strands of soft glue, which is how it attains its sound absorbing qualities. If you plan to laminate two panels together for a baffle or something, it's not going to work.

Comment

• SoundBob
            • Oct 2007

huh? big mistake it doesnt absorb noise! and that much airspace wont reduce any noise. lot of nonsense around as to why space reduces noise. if you shout at someone from 1 inch and then shout at them from two inches you wont tell the difference. 50 feet of airspace reduces noise. 1/4 inch doesnt. i think green glue works by separating 2 layers with a soft gluey stuff so they cant vibrate. i looked at the tests and they dont say what happens after it dries up and they also compare apples to oranges

Comment

• crazybastard
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by SoundBob
              huh? big mistake it doesnt absorb noise! and that much airspace wont reduce any noise. lot of nonsense around as to why space reduces noise. if you shout at someone from 1 inch and then shout at them from two inches you wont tell the difference. 50 feet of airspace reduces noise. 1/4 inch doesnt. i think green glue works by separating 2 layers with a soft gluey stuff so they cant vibrate. i looked at the tests and they dont say what happens after it dries up and they also compare apples to oranges
              I didn't mean that sound absorbs noise. But, just as you said, the space and cushion that is created by the gaps in the soft glue dampens stransmitted vibration/sound from the front panel so that it's not transmitted to the back panel. The glue is supposed to stay soft to some degree even when dried.

Comment

• SoundBob
                • Oct 2007

Alrighty I bought a whole friggin case of Green Glue and squirted some on some drywall 3 days ago. so far it hasnt dried at all but it does smell like elmers glue. im waiting to see if it crystalizes or maybe they test it wet. hard to say.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"