X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darren700
    • Oct 2006

sonotube sub problems

ok, this weekend i started building my sonotube sub. the plans i came up with were 8 cu ft @ 17hz, using a 20" dia sonotube and 6" precision port. the driver i used is the stereo integrity magnum 15" magnum
    so i cut and screwed everything together for a test run (no gluing involved) i still have yet to put the sound deadner in. so i lugged it down to my room and plugged it into the buttkicker amp (1000rms @ 4ohm) soundded great, except at 25hz (i tried a 25 hz tone to very this) it bottoms out like nuts, even though lower and higher frequencies are fine. i am lost as to what would be causing this and need some help.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Can you post some graphs of your model.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• darren700
      • Oct 2006

i havent had a chance to make any yet as it is just the testing phase, some on avs suggested that maybe the subs impediance was dropping at 25hz and causing the amp to clip. im thinking it could be that, or the fact that the amp is sharing a 15a circuit with a computer, 50" dlp, and receiver driving speakers. i will put it on a seperate 15a circuit asap

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Not knowing the port length makes it problematic to comment in the design. But....

All designs sealed, ported, whatever must be airtight to function properly.

With that driver, a 17Hz Fb should work fine if the tube is properly designed and sealed up.

It would also be handy to know what the SPL was when this bottoming occurred.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• darren700
          • Oct 2006

i used a 6" precision port from thrilleraudio.com, with one 12" tube added, so the length is 24" before the flares, and after you add the lengh of the flares it around 29" which is 17hz. i didnt measure spl when it was bottoming out, but on some songs (that dont have 25hz notes) i was getting into the 117db range from my seating posistion, with no bottoming out. i will run some tests when i get home, but it was bottoming out at a fairly moderate volume, my guess is 90db

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

117db at the listening position, but bottoming at 90dB with 25Hz? That's illogical unless every thing else being played was much higher than 25Hz.

Also 117db at the listening position is almost beyond belief, unless the listening position has your ear placed 2" from the cone.

How far is the listening postion from the sub, and what are you using to make these measurement?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• darren700
              • Oct 2006

im positive it was 117db, and that was using the rat shack spl meter. listening position is 10 ft away from sub
              i know it seems illogical, but im not having problems with lower frequencies than 25 hz... i will run more tests when i get home, but i am considering cutting another peice of sonotube for a 5.0 cu ft encloser and testing that

edit, just ran through sonosub.exe and 5.0cu ft @ 25.5hz would be do-able, ill give it a try tonight

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Here's your box this is an anechoic nearfield sim with 950 watts input......
                Attached Files

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• WillyD
                  • Feb 2006

You shouldn't be anywhere near bottoming this driver out above 16Hz even with 960W so something is definitely wrong, and it isn't the size or Fb you have chosen.

Comment

• darren700
                    • Oct 2006

well looking at driver excusion in winisd, it looks like it actually does reach full excursion at 25hz, so maybe thats it... well c how the smaller 5 cu ft sounds

Comment

• WillyD
                      • Feb 2006

well looking at driver excusion in winisd, it looks like it actually does reach full excursion at 25hz
                      Not for me it doesn't, it gets to ~22mm at the max (above tuning) with 960W.

Comment

• darren700
                        • Oct 2006

here is what the person who designed this sub has to say:

Two things mainly: The box is way too big and the tuning is too low. In that size enclosure the sub is pretty much infinite baffle with an attempt at tuning involved. Wtih 1000 watts in 8 cubes, it will bottom out prematurely...as compared to the other frequencies that you listed. You might want to go back and look at what I suggested in your earlier threads such as this one:

What have we here? Oh Dayumm!!!Something every man dreams of... TWINS!!! okay its triplets.. but twins are good too....more pr0nzI think Im in love..Bls are dual 1ohm flat wound/fully loaded 15s. When finally installed in my TrailBlazer, they will be powered @ 1 ohm off a Hifonics XX-Hercules. Th...

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Yep you ran out of headroom because the amp can deliver more than the 950 Pmax of the driver. And Pmax numbers are usually rated on the low side to protect the drivers.

So raise the tuning point a bunch or better yet buy more drivers...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• darren700
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            Yep you ran out of headroom because the amp can deliver more than the 950 Pmax of the driver. And Pmax numbers are usually rated on the low side to protect the drivers.

So raise the tuning point a bunch or better yet buy more drivers...
                            should i just raise the tuning, and leave it at 8cu ft, or make the enclosure 5 cu ft with a tuning of 25.5 hz?

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by darren700
                              should i just raise the tuning, and leave it at 8cu ft, or make the enclosure 5 cu ft with a tuning of 25.5 hz?
                              It won't matter at all. Because if you expect 117dB at the listening position with a single driver, the driver and amp will be destroyed in less than a week.

This isn't the world of car audio with massive levels of cabin gain. If you want 117 dB at the listening position, you need 4 of more of those drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• darren700
                                • Oct 2006

ok, thanks for the insight, i guess i was expecting too much (this sub did close to 150db in my car)

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by darren700
                                  (this sub did close to 150db in my car)
                                  Correct and that's nearfield with cabin gain.

Everytime you double the distance away from the speaker you lose 6dB of output.

3' to 6'=-6dB, moving from 6' to 12'= another -6dB loss.

Now figure how loud your speaker was playing nearfield if you were measuring 117dB at 10'...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Ilkka
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                    Correct and that's nearfield with cabin gain.

Everytime you double the distance away from the speaker you lose 6dB of output.

3' to 6'=-6dB, moving from 6' to 12'= another -6dB loss.

Now figure how loud your speaker was playing nearfield if you were measuring 117dB at 10'...
                                    That would be the case in an anechoic or in 2pi environment. In-room it's much less than that due reflections.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"