X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodfiend
    • Sep 2006

Dual VC vs. Single and buttkicker ??

Sorry for the terribly noobish question but in making the sonotube project is there a benefit or a downside in choosing either a Dual Voice coil or a single? I ordered the 15" TC Sounds dual vc and now am wondering if I made the right decision. I know I would have more wiring choices and resistance options with the dual so I went with that but now I am second guessing my decision. Also I was planning on driving it with a buttkicker amp and after reading the recent buttkicker thread I am wondering if this is the right amp for me. Who out there has had good results using this amp? Does it seem to work well in this situation? Has anyone done any testing for THD since these amps were never made for actual drivers?
  • jonathanb3478
    • May 2006

You are correct that dual VC drivers provide more options. In my personal decision making process it does not provide the appropriate option, however. With the TC-2000 DVC, I believe it is dual 3-ohm DC (4-ohm nominal), so you can do a single 2ohm or 8ohm load (both nominal). This isn't a good setup for the BKA1000-4A. That is either ~2kw or ~500w. 2kw is too much, and if all you want is 500w you could get there cheaper if you used an SVC and a plate amp. With the BKA, if you have two DVC drivers, your only option is 1000w into a 4-ohm nominal load.

DVC subs are better for dual driver setups using stereo pro amps. Still, however, I prefer dual SVC drivers for a ~2kw output @ 2-ohm nominal from a BKA. Cheaper that way, unless amazon raises the price on the BKA in the future. Again, just my opinion.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"