X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

Planar Midrange

Thomas suggested we start a thread for planar mids so here is the first entry…“Fun with Maggie”.

SWEET! It is easy to see why music lovers love their Magnepans. They have a very relaxed presentation and commit far fewer sins than most speakers on the market.

The MMG W is a fantastic value at $299 per pair. As a stand-alone speaker, limitations include a gently rolled off top end and inadequate bass output. The top end can be easily cured with a tall ribbon, and a pair of panels wide per side might support output down to 200Hz or so. I already had BMS 18N850s in U-baffles, and have built several ribbons…so the temptation was simply too great!

The amps in this system have plenty of swing (+/- 80 volt rails) so the 5 ohm MMG Ws were wired in series for an easy load and, for openers, the panels are allowed to roll off naturally on the top end. The ribbon uses a simple opposed pole motor with a homogenous half-inch gap of about 0.6 Tesla. Ribbon sensitivity is high enough that a matching transformer is unnecessary...the only thing between the ribbon foil and the amp is a resistor in series with a small cap. This low-order filter yields very good integration with the panels.

The low-end of the MMG W is not so simple. Out in a large room, even in pairs, the Maggies roll off below 400 Hz. I had to bite the bullet, bump the xo up to 250Hz, and dial in EQ for the low-end of the panels. EQ boost on the bottom end might have destroyed dynamic range, but the 250Hz xo prevents that problem.

Because of line/point source transition, close measurements of line sources (and panels) are downright misleading so, if we have a heat wave over Thanksgiving, I’ll take them outside for measurements. In-room RTA measurements will do for now.

The end result is extremely pleasant. The panels are not as incisive as the Seas Excels…they are more forgiving of poor sources like some recordings and HDTV material. The Maggie mids were just fired up yesterday but the sound is so darned sweet I listened to K.D. Lang’s “Invincible Summer” DVD-A three times straight through!

Here is what I don’t like about them (or more accurately, the room). The speakers are positioned about 6’ out from a pair of 8’ x 8’ glass doors so the dipole reflection is overbearing. I like a large soundstage, but with fairly precise imaging. These speakers throw a huge stage with vague imaging. The cure could be heavy drapes (not happening) or wool felt and/or foam damping on the back of the ribbon and panels like some of the newer ESLs.

One interesting effect of the spacious sound is that some instruments are clearly located left and right of the speakers, still others are centered behind the listening position. At one point I literally checked to make sure the surround amp was turned off!

As you see from the scrap MDF base, rather than long-term use, these were built as an experiment (and just plain fun). The theory is that the Maggie panels work well enough, high enough, to manage the directivity of a narrow ribbon as well as provide directivity in their range. So, no abrupt directivity changes with frequency. In this case, the crossover is the key, so that will be my focus for the next few days. We’ll see.

Other applications for the MMG W panels might include a 2-tall line array with 9 RS180’s and a ribbon, or the RS180’s in a low 3x3 array, or an RS390, or 4-10”….or?

Let your imagination run free and share the results!
    Paul

Edit by moderator to upload pics as attachments
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ThomasW; 21 November 2006, 17:05 Tuesday.
    Paul

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ok here we go... :B

Interesting results and impressions....

When Jon and I discussed using the MMG's as midwoofers he was insistent (perhaps adament shall we say), that a stack 2 high was necessary to increase the bottom end output.

Unfortunately playing GC for a bathroom remodel has side tracked my progress....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul W
      • Oct 2004

Bathroom remodel ! Thomas, where are your priorities?

Yes, this one is single high/two wide. I know Jon suggested two high but I can't build tall speakers this year. (yes, yes, where are my priorities ?)

Are you going to do a two high?
      Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul W
        Bathroom remodel ! Thomas, where are your priorities?
        Part of them are focused on keeping my 85yr old mother happy, it's her bathroom.....
        Are you going to do a two high?
        Yep that comes in real close to the height of the spare pair of RD75s sitting in the basement. If a single pair stacked measure OK, I'll order another pair and create a 2X2 MMG horizontal MTM with the RD75 in the middle.

If the stacked MMGs don't have enough midbass, then I'll consider the ESL kit from the guy at www.justrealmusic.com, provided he answers the phone..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"