X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • faith
    • Nov 2006

Sonosub with SVS 12.2 driver?

Hi!

I have a 12.2 svs driver laying around here, and thought it would be fun making one of those sonosubs. Will it work or will an ordenary squere box be best? Any tips on how to make the best possible sub with this element? By the way this will be my first diy project, so I have no idea what I'm doing :T

Regards

Alex
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

It will work fine. SVS won't give away the parameters for the driver, so we can't model it. Not a huge deal (but it would be nice). You just need to guess at what the volume and port diameter/length should be based on SVS's current/past designs. Try and find the corresponding tube you would like on their website and roughly copy it. SVS typically offers to help people, so if you come up with a rough idea, I bet they would help you fine tune the volume and port. From there, it is a stanard sonotube sub. Just follow along with the multiple projects here.

Also, be aware that for thier lower tunes, they start plugging ports and using boost from the amp. You may only want to consider the native tune of subs which have multiple tuning points.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• faith
      • Nov 2006

Hi Ryan!

Thanks for answer!

I beleive the pb12+ which this driver originates from is around 120-125 litres ( 120l is about 4800 cin i beleive). svs use tree 3 in. tubes. How do I fint the right lenght in each tube, for lets say 16 Hz tune? Can I make use of one thicker tube?

Regards
      Alex

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I'm not the expert here. Hopefully Thomas or someone else will chime in. But in the meantime:

I beleive that a single 3" port equals 7in2 of port area, so three of them would be 21in2. Two 4" ports would be about 25in2 and one 6" port would be 28in2. So a little bit bigger. I don't think that is a big deal.

You can use Unibox or WinISD to help you figure out the port length, since these only depend on the Box Vol and the port diameter. Just use any old driver in the model.

I beleive that calculates out to a 13" long 6" diameter port for a 16hz tune in a 125L box. That sounds short, so maybe a 6" dia port isn't right. 16hz might also be a little low to tune that driver.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"