X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Felt around the tweeter

Is this for standing waves, and can there be a benefit to all tweeters ? Is there a typical frequency effected ?

I know the early Spica TC-50 used .75" wool over the whole baffle ! Is there any chance this would cause a problem instead of a fix ?
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

It's for diffraction control, and is probably best optimized in a specific application with testing. Problems most often show up in the 4-12 kHz area. Audibility is a question, in more extreme cases, I think it's quite audible. More sublte examples maybe not so much.

Diffraction can also be caused by nearby drivers, producing effects lower in frequency than the above region.

Tweeter plate design can be a big problem, for example, Accuton's.

Look at this stock plot of an Accuton C13-6

Which was mounted flush for testing

Vs. a modified one with in place diffraction control with felt.

This is not the most extreme example I've seen, but the quickest one I coudl grab to post. Note that the scales are somewhat different, but still....
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Ahhhh..... Jon, I see the grills are gone too. How hard were they to get off? How about the mids - going to remove those grills as well?

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Tweeter grille isn't all that hard to get off- a small awl or screw driver is all you need to pry them off. Since I'll be going with a waveguide for this set, the grille had to go anyway- I wanted to get an initial idea of how good the driver was under more ideal conditions.

For the big mids, if I was using the C88/89, Id put some damping on the grilles radially- it's got a big of a resonance. The C90-T6 grille is a different shape and contruction, sort of pre-stressed, and doesn't seem to mess anything up; very dead. That's staying on... $400 drivers, you know!

the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Of the 2, felt and grill removal, which do you think is a bigger factor? (I am looking at the C2-12's I am finally about to put to use). Am I mis-prioritizing by using felt around an accuton without removing the grill?

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

The first plot above is for the C13-6 with felt surrounding the base of the tweeter. The problem about not removing the grille is that the grille sits off the front plate, and it's the edge where the grille sits in that causes a lot of the problems. I don't think it's possible to "fix" that without removing the grille. Maybe I'm being to anal about the whole thing, maybe most folks (me included) can't hear the comb filtering above 10 kHz, but I figure the cleaner things are, the cleaner they'll sound.

Just my 0.02.

Oddly, the C30N's I have dont' measure as squirrellyl under the same conditions.

the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kgveteran
              • Oct 2005

Devil's in the details :evil:
              Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Marc Heijligers
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                The problem about not removing the grille is that the grille sits off the front plate, and it's the edge where the grille sits in that causes a lot of the problems.
                Only adding felt is improving the performance already significantly (e.g., see http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/miles...ffraction.html. But the grill is a significant problem indeed, as I found out in some music, from some waterfall diagrams and an accelerometer (see the section "metal grills" on http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/miles...dampening.html. I've attached a measurement with an accelerometer on the gril (which is a mechanical measurement, not an acoustical measurement!).

Marc
                Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Interesting stuff, Marc! Those woofer grills really do ring. I'd be tempted to remove them and protect the drivers from small hands with a fabric grill, using thick felt to stop/reduce diffraction from the grill frame. Grill cloth itself has a minimal effect on the sound; it's the frames that are nasty.

PS - you might want to edit your links. I had to copy/paste them and remove the parenthesis from the end.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Marc Heijligers
                    Only adding felt is improving the performance already significantly (e.g., see http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/miles...ffraction.html. But the grill is a significant problem indeed, as I found out in some music, from some waterfall diagrams and an accelerometer (see the section "metal grills" on http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/miles...dampening.html. I've attached a measurement with an accelerometer on the gril (which is a mechanical measurement, not an acoustical measurement!).

Marc
                    Awesome site! I bookmarked it twice :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"