X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • k7geek
    • Mar 2006

Looking for cabinet builder, San Antonio TX area

Finally, no more lurking and wishing, time to build me the WMTW and TMWW (and eventually surrounds once the garage conversion in complete, for now the crappy ones left from an old Onkyo HTIB will do) Unfortunately, not only do I not own the woodworking tools needed to build the cabinets, I would have no place to actually use them Thankfully I can still feel somewhat like it's all DIY as the electronics and finishing steps are achievable at home

I'm looking for recommendations in a cabinet builder. Shippping is not a huge issue if it is reasonable, but it would be nice to find someone near me (San Antonio, TX)

Thnx

J
    Last edited by ThomasW; 18 November 2006, 20:32 Saturday. Reason: clarify title
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless you really need a true 'custom' cabinet, you might consider that currently all the Parts Express premade cabinets are on sale and they have free shipping for orders above $99. The fit and finish of the PE cabinets is impressive.

If you can operate a router or jigsaw i's pretty easy to complete woodworking needed to install the drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gitarretyp
      • Oct 2006

You might contact user Hank. He's in austin, but he'll do a good job for you.

Comment

• k7geek
        • Mar 2006

Seems the Members list is disabled, you know how to get in touch with Hank ?

J

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Hank is who you want to talk to. Fantastic veneer work. Also, Mirus Audio is in Austin, TX and does custom work too. Email me at asdf@hayenga.com and I'll send you Hank's email, as well as the email for Jonathan @ Mirus (www.mirusaudio.com). Disclaimer: I am friends with these guys and play poker with them regularly.

Comment

• dynamowhum
            • Aug 2006

So Mark sending them a little business so they can make a little extra money so you can take it from them on poker night. Very sneaky.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

I'll second Hank Frankenberg. He does EXCELLENT work. Some of the nicest veneer I've ever seen.

Comment

• Hank
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2002

I might be able to help. I build cabinets in Austin on occasion, as stress relief from my too, too responsible corporate job.
                AND, any filthy $ revenue will be used to lure young EE Mark into one of my Texas Hold-'em poker games. I love it when he starts the evening with trash-talkin' us older guys and then a couple of hours later, he is silent and slumped down over his cards.... :twisted:

Comment

• Amphiprion
                  • Apr 2006

You sure like to relive a single night from four years ago. These days you guys cough up about $8/hour to me. It's the most fun part time job I've ever had

Comment

• Hank
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2002

Jason, Mark and Brian: thanks for the kind words.

As for "The Kid", keep up the talk - next game we'll see what it's worth :lol:

I second Thomas' recommendation of the Parts Express cabinets, especially since they are on sale. Neither I nor anyone in the U.S. can compete with Chinese cabinets imported by the container load. Questions, e-mail me at indyhank'at'earthlink.net
                    Last edited by Hank; 24 November 2006, 15:58 Friday.

Comment

• k7geek
                      • Mar 2006

Hank,
                      I sent you an email a few days ago and I think I got it thru the spam filter. If not I'll try again on Monday

I'll also go look at PE but I wasn't all that sure they would have something for these projects, I may be blind

J

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

K7geek: Look at the volume of the PE cabs and compare to the internal volume your design requires. If one of the PE cabs is a bit larger, you can glue a block of MDF in the bottom to take up the extra volume. If you want to discuss, send me a note.
                        Yes, my spam filter is strong and sometimes when I try to let someone in, it gets trashed, so please try again.

Comment

• k7geek
                          • Mar 2006

I'll resend, thanks

Also, I should clarify my initial post a bit: the speakers I'm wanting to build are the WMTM and TMWW desings in the Mission Accomplished section. From what I can see the largest cabinet PE has isn't even large enough for the center.

In case my mail doesn't get thru this afternoon, here's my email

jhoward(at)rackspace(dot)com

Thanks !

J

Comment

• gitarretyp
                            • Oct 2006

Madisound sells pre-built floorstanding cabinets. I think they may still be too small for the designs you're looking at, however.

Comment

• Hank
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2002

At 1.35 cubic feet, that Madisound box might work, depending on which desing you're planning to use.

YGM.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

I think the Mad box is too narrow for the RS225. It would work if you swapped the RS180 for the RS225 but you'd be a test pilot if you did it. As far as I know, nobody has actually tried the swap.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"