what do you guys think about the syphon design on the new PE catalogue?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip_g
    • Dec 2005

what do you guys think about the syphon design on the new PE catalogue?

Looks interesting and kind of fun to build.
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

The cover looks like a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

I was wondering about that design as well, looks really nice!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by philip_g
        http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...phon/index.cfm

Looks interesting and kind of fun to build.
        The cross to the mid dome seems extremely low at 550 Hz. since FS is 325 Hz. and the cross to the tweeter struck me as too low. I'm sure Mike choose the RS28 for it's sound quality and trying to keep everything in the Reference series drivers but the RS28's finest quality is being able to cross low which the RS52 doesn't need. A smaller faceplate tweeter or a ribbon would allow the RS52 to be crossed much closer to 4K where where most designers cross mid domes.

I'm guessing that it wouldn't be hard to over drive the speaker with the crossover point decisions that he made.

Then again, I may be all wrong too. Time will tell. :roll:

Jim

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Jim, it looks like that was Darren's last hurrah... probably a "use this dome mid in something" project

I agree, RS28/RS180 don't need anything between... heck, I use the RS180's as my mids!

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Having a con-cave arc on the baffle and what appears to be more than 15 deg angle of the cabinet.........
            seems to me this would create a rather complex time phase scenario. Especially with the tweeter at the top?

However, as a noob with probably way more undigested info and too little experience and understanding of speaker design and acoustical physics, it may not be a realistic concern. It just seems to me that to be on axis in the listening position, you would have be some sort of contortionist?

I am currently building the Nat P in tower configuration, and designed and cut my cabinets with the baffle tilted 15 deg back from top to bottom, then read up on phase timing and am now wondering if I have significantly compromised these speakers by doing so.

Regardless, they do have a great look, and I have seen links in other threads to suppliers of plywood constructed tubes that would be perfect for a design like this one.

IMHO, function must follow form if your building for SQ, but in rare cases, some of the greatest looking designs have come from this method, too.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• philip_g
              • Dec 2005

he does mention that it would work well in a traditional floorstander, were I to replicate them I would go that route I think.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"