X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cool Mr Steve
    • Oct 2006

Modula MT Stands?

I've been looking into starting on my Modula MT's soon, and I'd like to build the cabinets first. Does anyone have any examples of the stands they have built for speakers such as these? I saw a couple I was into on the Modula MT Mission Accomplished page, but I'd like to see more if anyone has any other examples. Thanks a lot!
  • rumatt
    • Jun 2006

I'd be curious to see what you end up with once you find something.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

This is what I'm going to use for my Nat P's.

Comment

• rumatt
        • Jun 2006

Hmmmmmmm. are there any pictures of them floating around anywhere?

I'd LOVE to buy some of the parts express boxes on sale and build some Modula MTM's, but I generally prefer towers to the look of stands.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

I was just going to say, build them as towers and just seal off the bottom section by placing a piece of MDF where the bottom of the monitor sized cabinet would go.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
            • Jun 2006

I'm building stands for my Modula MT's as we speak. I'll try to get pics up this weekend. Basically just rounded over 3/4" MDF for the base and the top with a piece of 3" PVC pipe down the center. It will look nice all painted flat black and I can put sand or shot in the pipe for weight. I might even use a piece of threaded rod down the center of the pipe to keep everything together with the extra weight of the sand inside. Hope I explained it well enough, if not wait for the pics.

Comment

• Cool Mr Steve
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BigJim_inFLA
              I'm building stands for my Modula MT's as we speak. I'll try to get pics up this weekend. Basically just rounded over 3/4" MDF for the base and the top with a piece of 3" PVC pipe down the center. It will look nice all painted flat black and I can put sand or shot in the pipe for weight. I might even use a piece of threaded rod down the center of the pipe to keep everything together with the extra weight of the sand inside. Hope I explained it well enough, if not wait for the pics.
              I think I can picture what your going for, but I'm very interested in seeing the pictures.

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
              I was just going to say, build them as towers and just seal off the bottom section by placing a piece of MDF where the bottom of the monitor sized cabinet would go.
              I was thinking about going this way initially as I'm really into the look of tower speakers. My problem is my girlfriend did not want me building big speakers because I already have a large pair of front speakers (my current front speakers are Swans 5.2f) and I'm "Just building some surrounds." Eventually these speakers may make it to another room of the house that needs music, but they need to be mobile enough to move back and forth without too much issue. Also, if I'm going to try to persuade the boss to allow me to move them to another room they cannot be too imposing.

I'll toss around the idea of towers a little more, but please, keep the ideas coming. If I were to build tower speakers, though, I would be very dissapointed if they didn't have the bass I'd expect from that size speaker. So, I can only assume the simple solution would be for someone to rework the crossovers for me to allow me the use of a nice 8" woofer in the bottom :T
              Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Comment

• dawaro
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BigJim_inFLA
                I built a set of stands for a pair of similar sized speakers using 4" PVC wrapped in veneer to match the speaker and base. I made the base out of two layers of 3/4" oak and made it 2" larger that the speaker. I cut plugs to fit the inside of the PVC tube. I glued the bottom plug in with goop filled the tube with sand and then glued the top plug in. The plugs are also secured on the backside of the tube with screws. I then put a couple of threaded inserts in the top plug and screwed the speakers to the base through the enclosure. They have been in my living room for a year with three kids, two cats, and two dogs and have proven to be very stable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stands2.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	846728

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stands.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	846729
                Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:30 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Rolex
                  • Mar 2005

Here's a pic of the stands I built. 3/4" MDF with a hollow center filled with lead shot. Spikes on the bottom. Clear, round cabinet bumpers on the top to sit between the stands and the speakers.

Two pieces of 3/4" make up the bottom plate.

Image not available
                  Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:29 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Rolex
                    Here's a pic of the stands I built. 3/4" MDF with a hollow center filled with lead shot. Spikes on the bottom. Clear, round cabinet bumpers on the top to sit between the stands and the speakers.

Two pieces of 3/4" make up the bottom plate.

Image not available
                    That looks incredible! How much did to cost to make those? I'm seriously thinking about doing this for my Nat P's.
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:29 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• ssabripo
                      • Dec 2005

I was gonna make some stands for my rear surrounds, and was all but ready to buy the wood, etc.......and then I saw these in person, and saw the price on PE:

free shipping too, and they are SOLID! just too easy honestly!
                      My simple HT setup
                      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Rolex
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                        That looks incredible! How much did to cost to make those? I'm seriously thinking about doing this for my Nat P's.
                        VERY cheap to make. I think 19 bucks for the 4x8 sheet of mdf. Then I used a quart of primer and a quart of paint. I already had the lead shot. I got the spikes free from my local B&W dealer.

Right around 40 dollars for the set.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                          • May 2006

VERY cheap to make. I think 19 bucks for the 4x8 sheet of mdf. Then I used a quart of primer and a quart of paint. I already had the lead shot. I got the spikes free from my local B&W dealer.

Right around 40 dollars for the set.
                          Excellent! I think those are going to be the stands I'm going to build :T Instead of lead shot, do you think that soil would be ok? I've got plenty of that (living on a 100 acre farm provides lots of it).

Comment

• Rolex
                            • Mar 2005

Soil would be okay. But.......soil contains moisture, and moisture destroys mdf. So...if you are going that route, make sure you have almost zero moisture, or...put the soil in some type of sealed bag (plastic) before it goes into the stand.

I think I made that stand with a 4"x4" inside dimension for the column which gives a 5 1/2" outside dimension for the column. I added the second base after I decided the first wasn't big enough to be stable.

It's all coming back to me now. The first base was a 10"x10" the second base was a 12"x12" base. I only chamfered the top edge of the smaller base and was very happy with the way it turned out..

Comment

• Cool Mr Steve
                              • Oct 2006

Great looking stands, guys! I'm liking all of these ideas a lot. Quick question, though; I saw some stands on the internet awhile ago, I believe it was on this forum, that looked very interesting and I've been trying to find a picture of it. They're kind of hard to explain, and I don't remember exactly what they looked like, but somehow the base "pole" was supported by a base of like three layers of glass sheet at the bottom. I thought it was pretty sleek looking, but I'd like to see it again if someone has a picture of it. Those of you who saw it hopefully remember what I'm talking about, but I'm sorry for the crappy explanation. I'm enjoying all of these ideas, though, so keep them coming!

Comment

• JonP
                                • Apr 2006

Soil would be okay. But.......soil contains moisture, and moisture destroys mdf. So...if you are going that route, make sure you have almost zero moisture, or...put the soil in some type of sealed bag (plastic) before it goes into the stand.
                                Building sand is not free but pretty cheap, may have less moisture than dirt, and you could spread it out on a hot sunny day...

Another way to help would be to seal the MDF by painting with lots of shellac or other sealer. Get some, water it down with alcohol to a "1lb cut" and paint it on till it won't drink anymore, a few times. Should be a good "moisture barrier" and help prevent swelling or molding.

Comment

• Rolex
                                  • Mar 2005

Jon is correct. But, this could be tough to do if you have already attached the column to the base. If you haven't, then using this approach won't seal the joint where the column is connected to the base.

If you can afford it, stay away from all that stuff and go with lead or steel shot. More dense than most any dirt or sand you can find, and doesn't have any moisture to ruin the stands.

Comment

• JonW
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

For what it's worth...

I recommend avoiding lead shot. It's toxic and will get in the air more than you'd think. It's metal, but a very low boiling point metal.

Dampening with playground sand is a good way to go. It's clean, dry, something like $3 for a 25 (or 50?) pound bag and, in the end, will provide plenty of dampening for this application.

I made the stands below for my Modula MT's. They ain't pretty, but this was just something temporary to be able to play my newly built speakers. Maybe $20 worth of scrap wood- 2x6 and 3/4" ply. About 2 hours worth of work to build 3, including cutting the wood, measuring things, screwing together, etc. I'll make something more serious out of solid maple and cherry soon. But until then...

Images not available
                                    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:30 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Rolex
                                      • Mar 2005

Jon, you are correct, lead shot isn't the most child friendly. That's why I also mentioned steel shot.

Sand is okay, as long as it's dry. The last bag of sand I bought from Home Depot was soaked with moisture.

Looks like we each have our own preference.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"