X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSG
    • May 2005

Panasonic SA-XR55 bi-amp question

Perhaps someone knows the answer to my question. I have searched long and hard to no avail. I've also posted at diyaudio about a week ago.

I currently have a pair of Magnepan MMGs, and a pair of Dayton RS315HF woofers. Right now, the Maggies are powered by an SA-XR50 receiver. I would like to put the woofers in sealed boxes, which would serve as stands for the Maggies.

I have been considering retiring the SA-XR50 to the TV room, and buying a SA-XR55 for the stereo. The Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver has bi-amp capability, so I thought this would work well with the setup. I would use a passive crossover at about 150-200Hz, and I do not have a problem with the large crossover components that would be required. I have ready access to this sort of componentry. I would then ret

However, this leads to a different problem, which is that the woofer has considerably higher sensitivity than the Maggies. However, looking at the SA-XR55 manual (page 21), I see what looks like a HF/LF balance setting, which I think would allow me to set the relative output of the HF and LF channels.

Someone has confirmed that this is how it works, but does anyone have an idea of the adjustment range? Another possibility is to use a line frequency transformer as an autotransformer to knock down the woofer sensitivity, which should at least get me close. I already have some transformers that should get me within a db or so of the spec'ed sensitivity.

As an aside, the manual also shows that you can adjust the HF/LF relative delay.

I do know that there are a lot better things I could do with these drivers, but my audio hobby time is limited. Thanks for any help.

John
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Are you planning on running the sub off the receiver amp?

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

The RS315HF impedance is only 4 ohm and the receiver is rated for 6-8 ohm. Usually not a problem tho as long as you don't push too hard. I would imagine you'd have enough adjustment range but don't know how much you need....

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

I do know that there are a lot better things I could do with these drivers,
        I can't think of many...sounds like a cool project. Maybe consider trying dipole woofers, first, before you seal 'em up? It'd be nice to preserve the dipole radiation especially if crossing at 150-200Hz...it's one of the MMG's best qualities, I think. Nowhere near the output of sealed, of course.

I have that receiver, but I haven't tried any of those functions, so I could only tell you what you've already gotten from the manual.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

You might want to look at the pages Daryl from the Mad board did on a passive EQ for sealed designs using the Dayton drivers. He puts a series RC in front of the driver and it does two things. It raises the impedance a bit and it flattens the response by cutting the highs. He gets a 20 Hz tune, 84.5 dB sensitivity, with the 315HF in a 2 cu.ft. box with no other EQ. That would be good for powering with the receiver because you can't use an external EQ. The receiver isn't going to play them very loud but that's okay because it won't play the Maggies very loud either.

Photo 1 gives the component values and frequency response. Photo 5 shows the simple circuit.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

Dennis is the man. Cool.

Comment

• JSG
              • May 2005

Many thanks, Dennis! This is close to what I'm looking for. The Maggies are rated 86dB/2.83V/m. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do a little modeling to see if I can dial it in a little closer. With a little adjustment range, I can probably even make this work with my SA-XR50, using the "B" speaker outs for the woofer.

Jack, I've wanted to do dipoles for years, but I haven't really had the time to dig into it, so I plan to go with sealed, first. However, my construction plan is to use a horizontal sonosub-type design with square end-plates and threaded rod to hold them together. This way, if I need to adjust the volume, I can use a shorter or longer tube. When I'm done, I'll put a box around the whole thing. If I decide to fool with a dipole, I can just open up the back end. That's the plan, anyway.

However, if anyone knows the SA-XR55 adjustment range, I'm still interested. About 4dB is all I need, and then I don't need to do anything special.

John

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"