Looking for a nice, smooth small woofer for a 2 way mini speaker...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Looking for a nice, smooth small woofer for a 2 way mini speaker...

I'm wondering... I just got a pair of the MB Quart tweeters on sale at Madisound. (I think I could have done better, the frequency response curves aren't that nice looking).

Anyway, I think I may pair them with a small woofer and use them at my office.

I was thinking about the Dayton RS-125 woofers, but I began to wonder whether the Audax Aerogel woofers are smoother or easier to work with. I'd like to build a simple crossover, for a change.

Specifically, I looked at this one...

Looks pretty easy to work with.

A friend of mine told me the Aerogels were extremely smooth and nice sounding.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
    Javier Huerta
  • knifeinthesink
    • Jan 2006

I was quite astonished how good the paper cone 4" audax sounded, even with minimal effort put into the crossover. It sold out a while ago (not suprising considering they were about $8. DAMN I wish Id bought more than two) but Partsexpress has the next size up for $18.

I think peerless is probably worth looking at for what your describing. Zaphaudio's picked the Seas CA18RNX as the smoothest amongst the drivers he tested.

Comment

• DougyD19
      • Nov 2006

If you want a small high excursion 8 inch woofer for bass, this thing rocks. I have one in my car and it pounds like crazy.. Has an xmax of 12 mm.

TANG BAND W8-740C 8" SUBWOOFER

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

What's the cost limit / desired bass response / cabinet size / etc? I personally would prefer the Peerless 4" or 5.5" polypropylene coned woofers. Very linear and easy to work with. The 4" doesn't even have the typical surround resonance dip. I think it's $50 or so.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
          I'm wondering... I just got a pair of the MB Quart tweeters on sale at Madisound. (I think I could have done better, the frequency response curves aren't that nice looking).

Anyway, I think I may pair them with a small woofer and use them at my office.

I was thinking about the Dayton RS-125 woofers, but I began to wonder whether the Audax Aerogel woofers are smoother or easier to work with. I'd like to build a simple crossover, for a change.

Specifically, I looked at this one...

Looks pretty easy to work with.

A friend of mine told me the Aerogels were extremely smooth and nice sounding.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
          If you want a nice smooth easy to work with driver that has an excellent midrange, take a look at GR Research M130's. Dennis Murphy has a number of designs based on this driver on his website. It'd give you a good starting point for your design. They are an excellent value at about $25 each.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"