X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tojo619
    • Sep 2006

3-ways need some help

Hey guys i'm having trouble deciding what drivers to use. i'm wanting to build a pair of 3-way speakers similar to the ones i have now but with some more kick . the pair i have now are probably from the early-mid 80's that i refoamed and they're just not cutting it for me, they don't go as loud as i want and the overall sound quality isn't that great. I been looking at these woofers but i don't know whats best to use when it comes to a 3-way configuration.

i want to go reasonably loud but not extreme. something i can power using a descent receiver and an amp if need be. i'm going to be buying a set of used turntables so i can start spinnin' so i need something that would be able to fuel a small backyard party. well i don't want to ramble on and on so maybe when i get my woofer picked out i can get some suggestions on what mid and tweeter to use.
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

Oh, speakers. Never mind...

Comment

• RandyMidd
      • Feb 2006

Oh, speakers. Never mind...
      :rofl:

Tojo...two of those drivers are subs and you have SPL's ranging from 87 to 93...me thinks you'll need to match the woofer with your midrange and tweeter better than that if you want something that plays flat.

Have you considered a proven design...maybe someone else can recommend a 3-way design that uses 12" woofers...and...

Me also thinks that a proven two way design and one or two seperate subs will likely be a superior system...have you considered that?

You''ll put a lot of hard work and $$ into your speakers...if you go with a proven kit you will eliminate much of the risk of you being unhappy IMO.

BTW Madisound did a fantastic job building a custom 3-way crossover for me...everything is laid out and soldered neatly...that's one job I feel I really got my $ worth...very reasonable.
      ...Randy

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Without knowing the other drivers in the box, it's pretty difficult to make a recommendation

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"