X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • berlin07
    • Jan 2006

Inductors

I did not want my first post to be such a noob question but here goes. When building a crossover, does the order of the inductor's connection matter (inter or outer coil) from the source to the speaker?

Thanks,
    Shawn
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They don't have a +/- connection, if that's what you're asking. So no it doesn't matter how the leads are wired.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• berlin07
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the fast reply Thomas.
      They don't have a +/- connection, if that's what you're asking
      That's not what I was asking, I just didn't know if the inductance would be altered depending on how the leads were wired. I have my first x-over for the Modula Mt laid out and wanted to make sure all was well before I went to soldering.

Thanks,
      Shawn

Comment

• Davey
        • Jan 2003

No, the inductance won't be altered if you wire either way. Remember, this is an AC circuit so the direction of current flow is actually changing many times a second anyway.

The one thing you should look out for is the physical orientation of the inductors to any adjacent inductors (if you have any) so you won't get mutual coupling between the two. They should be orthogonal.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"