X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeanP
    • May 2004

My 6 ch Gainclone

Well I finally completed my 6 ch Gainclone! I have trouble getting extra parts as I live in a small town and electronics isn't part of this red neck town.

I got this kit from AudioSector back in Jan and the 2-400va 25v + 25v trannies off of E-bay and other parts from Apex Jr. It is the 4780 kit with snubbers. I must say that it was definitely was a learning experience! :T
    As for sound, it is excellent! It is replacing my 6 ch Rotel(which will be for sale in the Pawn shop). When I went to separates with the Rotel, it was definitely an improvement in clarity and power, now it is even much more clearer.

EDIT: I posted the new mods down below in another post...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DeanP; 06 January 2008, 02:41 Sunday. Reason: added new info & deleted dreams...
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Wow, nice project. I think those chipamps are great value for money!

Comment

• dynamowhum
      • Aug 2006

Looks like a great project. How many watts per channel and how much did it cost?

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dynamowhum
        Looks like a great project. How many watts per channel and how much did it cost?
        Ditto!

Comment

• DeanP
          • May 2004

It is about 60w per ch into 8 ohms and if I hook up a 4 ohm speaker it would be about well over 70w but it could over heat as my supply voltage is to much. The supply voltage should be about 25v vice the 30v I have. I lost track of how much it cost, but approx. $350.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

350 thats cheap......hmmmmmmm

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
              • May 2006

Originally posted by DeanP
              It is about 60w per ch into 8 ohms and if I hook up a 4 ohm speaker it would be about well over 70w but it could over heat as my supply voltage is to much. The supply voltage should be about 25v vice the 30v I have. I lost track of how much it cost, but approx. $350.
              What type of speakers are you using? 70w into 4 ohms sounds kinda low... Or is this some type of my effieient power?

Comment

• DeanP
                • May 2004

I could be under estimating the 4 ohm rating, it is what I interpet from National Semiconductor's site on the Lm4780 data.
                I'm using the Audax ht system here.My thread for Audax

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  350 thats cheap......hmmmmmmm
                  Not really. That's about a buck an 8-ohm-watt. You can get similar watts/buck with the Outlaw (ATI) amps and you don't need to build them.

Comment

• mrogowski
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                    Not really. That's about a buck an 8-ohm-watt. You can get similar watts/buck with the Outlaw (ATI) amps and you don't need to build them.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html
                    Certainly true, but what sound quality would you be getting? A buddy of my lent me his GainClone for awhile and it sounded better than my Luxman power amp which was a fair chunk of change at the time.

Best,
                    Mark
                    Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Certainly true, but what sound quality would you be getting?
                      I don't think there is anything special about gainclones other than marketing and high price for the original namebearer. When dissected, they are just chip amps using circuits designed by the chip manufacturer. SL uses chip amps for some of his designs and ATI amps for others and I trust his judgement that neither is particularly better than the other except power rating and convenience.

Comment

• mrogowski
                        • Jul 2006

But that's the magic about them - there *isn't* anything special about it. Its a simple design, and if you use quality parts around the core, you can achieve some very good results.

Best,
                        Mark
                        Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Thats whats fun about it though? Is building it. I've been looking at different DIY amp designs and been thinking about building one.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                            • May 2006

So is this gainclone enough to drive say, the WMTW and TMWW set or would that be asking too much out of it?

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

It would all depend on how loud you need it to be I would bet. Has anyone figured out the sensativity of the TMWW's?

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                • May 2006

I remember someone posting that the DM Seas version of the RS TMWW was ~87dB. I do not recall who posted that, and I might not be remembering that correctly. I typically have a good memory for numbers though

Take it for what it is worth.
                                Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• DeanP
                                  • May 2004

Since I created this in summer '06, I had planned to improve it somewhat.
                                  Well this past summer I did. I added two extra channels for bass bins. They are LM4780s but each of the new ones are built in parallel config to drive a 4 ohm load. So now I still have 6 inputs but each of the mains are passed through a Marchand XM-1 x-over @ 250Hz and then split off to their own chip. I also cleared up a ground loop that I had before and now the amp is dead quite.
                                  Since I had to keep the bass bins small, I just used some 8" drivers in a small vented box. My Audax mains, each sit on top of one. It sure made a difference in the bass department; its a "go between" for my dual Shivas. :T

Comment

• dragonrage
                                    • Feb 2007

You can bridge LM4780s. That'll drive basically whatever you want other than big subwoofers.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

I wouldn't bridge into 4 ohm loads unless you also parallel another bridged pair. The built in protection will keep the chips alove, but what it does to sound quality is :frypan: - much like too small heatsinks.

Comment

• kevmurray
                                        • Jan 2007

DIY perspective on amps

One of the greatest benefits of the gainclone in my opinion is the price and versatility. A DIY'er can build a small stereo amp for fun and then for very little extra cash, can add extra channels as required. I'm going to build a 6 channel one soon for driving a pair of 3 way speakers. It will have a DIY active crossover integrated in a chassis I built with parts scrounged from local recyclers. The 1kVA transformer was $40 and 10,000uF caps were $2 each. I have future plans to add more channels since the speakers have dual woofers (more power good :twisted: ) and this will be easy and cheap. Oh and the heat sinks were from a recycler too. Gainclones may not measure as well as descrete amps but the price and built-in protection is hard to beat from a DIY perspective. This is a DIY forum right?

DeanP: Way to go, cool project! :T
                                        Kevin Murray

Comment

• Habs4life
                                          • Apr 2006

I'm using a pair of LM 3875's to drive the Vifa 2ways on my computer rig and am quite pleased with the SQ considering the low cost to build.

btw Dean ,that sweater in your sig should have a gold metal on it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

I'm using 3875's to power my Lineup Maxx's. But I have issues with noise from my computer PSU. Probably going to be building a more expensive power amp based on mosfets soon though. Probably be something like twice the price of the chipamp.

Comment

• dragonrage
                                              • Feb 2007

If you want more expensive, try UcD180 (www.hypex.nl or www.diycable.com) or get a kit from 41Hz.com

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

No going to build a Class A/B amp thats not quite as expensive as the UCD modules. And the goal wasn't to pick a more expensive design but a better design Going to build a 2 channel Aussie Amp. The NX150's just waiting for him to get them back in stock which he says should be any day now.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"