X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

TC Sounds Passive Radiators Just Released

Saw it on their website tonight:

Finally - some good long-throw, high mass 18" passives for the DIY market. Now if I only had the room for an 18
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Annnnd...they have the SVC and DVC 15" 2000's for $260.

Or the 12" 1000's for $160.

I'm not familiar with passive radiators, so it's easier for me to get excited about these things

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

$149 for the 15" and $189 for the 18" seems like a high price to pay to make a smaller box. I'd rather spend that money on more driver.

But, I know there are a few people that love them, like Mark Seaton. I guess they do can do a few more tricks than just reducing box size.

It would be interesting to see some good designs for these.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Rory Buszka
        • Oct 2006

In my own experience with a well-designed PR system, they can have a "tight", almost sealed-box sound above the tuning frequency. My current sub is tuned to 20Hz and sounds fantastic in the range above 40 Hz where most musical bass lives. Then when it needs serious Oomph, the passive radiators get into the action. I don't know where passive radiators get such a bad repuation, unless there's a lot of really poorly-designed passive radiator boxes out there.

In another thread, I'm experimenting with mating a single TC-1000 12" to a single TC-VMP 12" for a very compact sub. The TC-1000 doesn't like boxes smaller than 2.5 cubic feet. Something tells me the TC-1000 is optimized for sealed use, which may be why it's not playing nicely in the small box with the passive radiator. The TC-1000 in 3 cubic feet sealed is 3dB down at 30 Hz and 10dB down at 18 hz. (10dB down is generally considered by many manufacturers to be the useful LF limit.)

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
          • Aug 2001

$149 for the 15" and $189 for the 18" seems like a high price to pay to make a smaller box. I'd rather spend that money on more driver.
          There's definitely a point where that becomes a consideration, especially with the 12's. I don't like to use PR's singly, but that could be feasible just from an excursion standpoint if using a model larger than the driver. You'd want a really heavy box.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"