X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cool Mr Steve
    • Oct 2006

Modula MT vs MTM

I keep asking dumb newbie questions on this forum, and I apologize for that, but I've got one more for now... What are the benefits of using two midwoofers as opposed to one, as in the MTM vs MT. Would I be correct in assuming that the MTM has noticeably better sound quality than the MT? Are there tradeoffs to the MTM, or to having more drivers in general?
  • Brian Walter
    • Sep 2005

There are a lot of things that Will affect the sound of each, but assuming you have the same box tunning and similar crossover topologies, you can assume the following:

1) The MTM will have better power handling and will play louder and be more dynamic.
    2) The MTM will have a narrower vertical off axis response, meaning the sound will not spread vertically as much as an MT. This can be good or bad, depending on your application.
    3) The MTM will likely cost more and require a bigger cabinet.
    4) You can not assume that the MTM will have better sound quality. I would suggest that the sound quality will be the same, but the radiation pattern will be different, so depending on your application, one will likely work out better than the other.

Generally speaking an MTM is preferred for home theater because of the greater dynamics and narrow vertical response. This reduces floor and ceiling reflection and can improve the frequency response at the listeners position. But if you listen to music while standing or move around and don't just sit in the sweet spot, then you might like the response of the MT better. I'm sure others may have a slightly different opinion on this matter, so wait and see what others say.

Brian Walter

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

If I can put in my two cents-

The modula MTM was designed with less compromises than the MT. The MT had "low cost" as a design criteria, so I think you'll find that even at low levels the MTM puts less stress on the tweeter and better suppresses the metal cones' breakup. Of course, we're talking about a very high level of performance to begin with...

I agree with Brian's closing word on listening position. I haven't heard the MTM, but I have the MT's and I'm quite happy listening all over my room. There's a big improvement in imaging when I sit down in my spot on the couch, but other than that- they make good sound.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Cool Mr Steve
        • Oct 2006

Thats exactly what I was after, thanks a lot!

Comment

• SteveCallas
          • Aug 2005

Interesting, so you lose some soundstage size when placing a driver above and below the tweeter?

Comment

• Exocer
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
            Interesting, so you lose some soundstage size when placing a driver above and below the tweeter?
            Yeah, I difinitely didn't know that either.

So the MTM has a lesser vertical dispersion capabilities than an MT? I always thought it was the other way around :E

Comment

• bmowis
              • Oct 2006

With my MTMs, I can *really* notice the difference in the speakers when I stand up and sit down. Sitting down (about 15 ft away), with my ears in the sweet spot, the speakers - particularly the tweeters - sound much better than when I'm standing up. I was told this before I began building, so no surprise there.

...I don't get that kind of variable response from my MTs. They don't sound quite as good - In my opinion - but I can walk just about anywhere in the room and they sound the same.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

so you lose some soundstage size when placing a driver above and below the tweeter
                Soundstage usually refers to how it sounds when you're sitting in the sweet spot -- do the instruments spread out beyond the speakers in width, depth and height. The MTM thing is a different issue. The sweet spot is small in the vertical plane -- it sounds different when you stand up.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                  • Aug 2005

The MTM thing is a different issue. The sweet spot is small in the vertical plane -- it sounds different when you stand up.
                  If the vertical sweet spot is smaller or more narrow with an MTM, wouldn't it then seem logical that the soundstage is smaller vertically as well, even when in the sweet spot, or no? I'm asking, as I honestly have no idea. Doesn't off axis response give a glimpse of soundstage size?

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                    If the vertical sweet spot is smaller or more narrow with an MTM, wouldn't it then seem logical that the soundstage is smaller vertically as well, even when in the sweet spot, or no? I'm asking, as I honestly have no idea. Doesn't off axis response give a glimpse of soundstage size?
                    I would expect that the illusion of soundstage would not (directly) be affected by the vertical dispersion. If you are in the center of the pattern, you will hear a full frequency range, and it shouldn't make much difference how fast or slow the pattern around you tapers off, or if there are big nulls in it.. (the MTM condition)

OTOH, there might be secondary effects of how much of what kind of frequencies get reflected off the walls, and bounce back to you maybe in constructive or destructive ways.. That way a particular pattern could help or blur the soundstage, and that might affect the apparent height or such. But I wouldn't call it a direct effect.

And, I could be completely wrong!! ;-)

Jon

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"