X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jay6850
    • Oct 2006

What does everyone think???

Hey, I just did this in ms Paint, and I was just wondering what everyone thought of the design... I was also wondering if I am going to need speaker terminals because i have heard that I did but I don't know what I would need them for. I really cannot wait to get this all started and plan on buying all the ingredients for my sub later tonight....so any quick help would be appreciated! Thank You!
  • jay6850
    • Oct 2006

When I say speaker terminals I mean like this.... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-303

and sry...I cant figure the whole picture thing out...but it is basically a 20x20x15 inch box with 2 3" ports, 17 inches long. Just to do it out for you...that is a volume of just under 100 L.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

Give us a little more info such as what type of subwoofer are you using. With 3" ports, you're most likely going to run into chuffing. I would say get WinISD pro (alpha) and use that to model your driver.

As far as terminals go, yes, you'll need some terminals. If you have a dual voice coil sub, then you'll need either 2 sets of 2 terminals or one set of 4 terminals.

Comment

• jay6850
        • Oct 2006

Continuation of question....

I am going to be using the Dayton 12" DVC subwoofer. I have used winisd and it says that there will be a minimal amount of port noise (.07). I am using 2 of the 3" ports instead of one big one because it makes the length of the port less to fit in the box and also decreases the amount of port noise.

The DVC has dual 8 ohm coils, so how exactly do I hook them up? in the other post I was told to connect them parralel, where positive and negative are connected to coils, then run to the amplifier, which will create a total 4 ohm circuit... but how exactly do I connect them in this manner?

maybe someone could just show a pic or something....

and I may end up switching to the Dayton 12" HIGH FIDELITY SUBWOOFER

but I am not sure yet because I cannot find the specs on the high fidelity sub to input into winISD....

Sorry about all the trouble.... and thanks for everything! ~Jason

Comment

• Marzen
          • Jul 2005

Jason, the info is in the CLIO text files on that page. I'm guessing you can import these files into your software. The impedance text file also contains the T/S parameters that are listed on the page and should import as well.
          -Ward
          What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• jay6850
            • Oct 2006

Yeah...I kinda noticed it was there right after i posted that.... but thanks anyways

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
              • May 2006

With a 12" the 3" ports should be ok. Just out of curiosity, why go with the 12 when the 15 is only like $10-15 more? Also, go with the high fedelity over the high output, it will give you a more musical sub over something that is geared more towards raw output (competitions).

I wish I could help you with the parallel thing, but I've never had to do that with a woofer thus far so...

Comment

• Marzen
                • Jul 2005

I couldn't find a quick wiring pic of a 8ohm DVC, here's a 4ohm version.

Option 1 (parallel) = 2 ohm load
                Voice coils wired in parallel

Option 2 (series) = 8 ohm load
                Voice coils wired in series
                What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

Have you ordered the DVC 12 yet? If not, I've got a brand new one, never been used that I'll sell you for a bit less than the PE price. I need to clear out some drivers from my growing inventory.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                    • May 2006

One thing that always throws me when I look at a parallel diagram is how will you get a wire going from one + to the other + and then to the amp? Wouldn't that make the wire either really thick in the terminal or would you have to splice the wires together?

Comment

• jay6850
                      • Oct 2006

Hey Brian! If you have the extra 12" DVC I would love to take it off of your hands. But I was just wondering....is it a dual voice coil and if so, 4 or 8 ohms per coil? Also, is it the same model with the same specs as the High Fidelity on the PE website? If so, I won't order it, because I was going to later today, So get back to me

The reason I am going with the 12" and not the 15" is because of size requirements. I am going to be building it at home (CT) and shipping it to my dorm room (Pittsburgh, PA), so the 12" is much more suitable although I would prefer the 15", but it would be inadequate in a dorm room and way too big too ship for a reasonable cost.

But, I do plan on partaking in a much bigger project later for my house, to give my parents a gift. I will probably be building a pair of 2 way wall-speakers to match the big screen tv in the living room and may even build a bigger sub to go with them. So I will have many more questions in the future!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2001

I'm not sure what you mean by High Fidelity. What I have is the standard Dayton DVC 12" driver, dual 8 ohm coils listed here:

If you want it I'll sell it to you for $100 shipped.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"