X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jay6850
    • Oct 2006

Adire Tempest Question...

I was just wondering how exactly I should connect this speaker to just one amplifier with crosswiring? How do I wire it and what will be the total impedance coming from my amplifier when I am done... is it 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Thanks and anything else I may need to know would be helpful because I plan on ordering the speaker within the next 2-3 days and inserting it into a sonotube....I CANNOT wait!!!

Thanks for all of the input in advance!

Jason
  • JasonB
    • Oct 2005

This is most likely the original Adire Audio Tempest which is available in 15" only, it has dual 8 ohm voice coils. There is supposed to be new Adire Audio Tempests that are available in 10", 12" and 15" sizes that could have either dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm voice coils, but I have yet to find anyone who actually has them in stock.

If it is the original version with the dual 8 ohm coils it goes like this:

Parallel - amplifier positive terminal is wired to both positive terminals on the woofer, amplifier negative terminal is wired to both negative terminals on the woofer. In this situation the impdance of the coils is divided by two, so dual 8 ohm voice coils would give you a 4 ohm load to your amp

Series - amplifier positve is wired to the positve input for ONE voice coil, amplifier negative is wired to the negative input for the OTHER voice coil, the remaining two inputs on the woofer are wired together. In this situation the impedance of the coils is added together, so dual 8 ohm coils would give you a 16 ohm load to your amp.

Single coil - amplifier positive is wired to the positive input for one coil, amplifier negative is wired to the negative input for the SAME coil, the remaining terminals for the other coil are wired together. In this situation you are only using one voice coil so a woofer with dual 8 ohm voice coils would give you an 8 ohm load to your amp. *This method will reduce the power handling and efficiency of your woofer.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Comment

• Fryguy
      • Apr 2006

Minor correction (nitpicky I know, but it may get people in trouble). Wiring in parallel does not divide the impedance by 2. In all practical terms it does, but the actual math behind it is as follows:

1/x + 1/y = 1/z

where x and y are the impedances of the voice coils, and z is the resulting impedance. So in the tempest example:

1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4 so Z is 4. Like I said, when the impedances of both voice coils are the same (which happens 99.9% of the time in audio), the net result is a halving of impedance, just figured I'd elaborate.

BTW, good luck finding tempests.

Originally posted by JasonB
      This is most likely the original Adire Audio Tempest which is available in 15" only, it has dual 8 ohm voice coils. There is supposed to be new Adire Audio Tempests that are available in 10", 12" and 15" sizes that could have either dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm voice coils, but I have yet to find anyone who actually has them in stock.

If it is the original version with the dual 8 ohm coils it goes like this:

Parallel - amplifier positive terminal is wired to both positive terminals on the woofer, amplifier negative terminal is wired to both negative terminals on the woofer. In this situation the impdance of the coils is divided by two, so dual 8 ohm voice coils would give you a 4 ohm load to your amp

Series - amplifier positve is wired to the positve input for ONE voice coil, amplifier negative is wired to the negative input for the OTHER voice coil, the remaining two inputs on the woofer are wired together. In this situation the impedance of the coils is added together, so dual 8 ohm coils would give you a 16 ohm load to your amp.

Single coil - amplifier positive is wired to the positive input for one coil, amplifier negative is wired to the negative input for the SAME coil, the remaining terminals for the other coil are wired together. In this situation you are only using one voice coil so a woofer with dual 8 ohm voice coils would give you an 8 ohm load to your amp. *This method will reduce the power handling and efficiency of your woofer.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Comment

• CSS
        • May 2004

The original Tempest (now called Tempest Classic) is now available again from Acoustic Visions and Creative Sound Solutions.

Bob

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

I love the Tempest. I've had one for 3 or 4 years now, in 3 different enclosures. It's no longer the best out there, but it's still one very reliable and nice sounding sub...
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• hamm
            • Dec 2005

What enclosures have you used in the past, specifically, and what one did you like the best?

I currently have my tempest in the recommended "Adire Alignment Design" - 214L cabinet tuned to 15.4 hz. It's stuck in my closet right now, with a very low WAF. So i'm trying to find a smaller box to construct and finish so I can have it out in my small-ish TV viewing room.

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by hamm
              What enclosures have you used in the past, specifically, and what one did you like the best?

I currently have my tempest in the recommended "Adire Alignment Design" - 214L cabinet tuned to 15.4 hz. It's stuck in my closet right now, with a very low WAF. So i'm trying to find a smaller box to construct and finish so I can have it out in my small-ish TV viewing room.

I've had it in a small sealed box (about 150L) with no low end boost, the AA design, and another sealed box (about 120L), but with about 4 ~ 5 dB of boost at 28 Hz.

I love the boosted sealed box. The AA was great, but my wife hated it, and quite frankly, I couldn't stand it very much. It's (as you may know by now) simply huge. Also, after a while it started creaking and making noises on the inside - I suppose the glue the carpenter used dried up or something, os I tore it appart.

The sealed box with no boost was nice, but I always felt I was missing far too much low end when compared to the ported one. After deciding I really was after music reproduction, and not maximum SPL, I got a 300W BASH digital amp from PE, modeled the box, and added some low end boost. I couldn't be any happier... although I loved the AA's sound, which was a bit tighter (IMHO) than my sealed alignment, the new box is ultra-small and wife-approved.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                • Nov 2004

I have the original Tempest in the vented 'AA' and I love it. Had it for almost five years now that I've had it. It's big but I have enough room to stack about 4-8 of them in the corner its in now so I guess I have the room for it.

Just need some more output, now...
                My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"