X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Cheap router bits (and questions)

I'm not too sure if this is allowed or not, so if it isn't please delete this thread. Sears has a sale going on for router bits!

I picked up a ton of router bits for less than $100, and the shipping is free after rebate!

Now, onto my question, I bought a couple of bits like this that say, "Arbor Shank", what does that mean?

• dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

If you will notice Inu that there is no way to attach that bit to your router. This type of router bit has a hole through the middle of it. An arbor is a shaft or axle if you will that goes through the hole and uses either a nut or a bearing nut combination to hold it in place. A bearin lets the cutter ride at a fixed distance from your wood to give a uniform depth of cut. It can also be used with templates placed at on top or bottom of your project so the bearing can ride on the template edge letting you cut your pattern out. I hope this helps.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

Another noobish question then, I have this bit set:

Could I use it with the arbor from this?

Comment

• dynamowhum
        • Aug 2006

You have to match the sizes. The bulk of the bits are either 1/4" or 1/2" there is apparently some 3/8" but I haven't seen any. If your sears bit was 1/4" and your amazon bit was 1/2" then they can not mate up. Learning is a life long process isn't it.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
          • May 2006

Originally posted by dynamowhum
          Learning is a life long process isn't it.
          Truly it is. Tis always best to learn while you're young :rofl:

One last question, say I ordered a bit like this:

Could I just replace the cutting head with one of the other heads that don't have an arbor?

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

I don't think the heads on those actually come off. The nut is there to hold the bearing (guide) for the roundover bit.
            Danish

Comment

• technimac
              • Feb 2005

These bits, for the most part aren't carbide, and will last only a fraction of the time a carbide bit would. :cry: You won't save any money in the long run. :M
              The ones needing an arbor are high-speed steel and designed for a "shaper", which is usually found in a commercial woodwork shop (although most use carbide blades for that purpose as well). :huh:

You're better off checking out the carbide router bits at suppliers like:
              Whiteside router bits, Byrd shelix jointer and planer cutterheads, saw blades and other woodworking cutting tools from holbren.com

Whiteside router bits, Byrd shelix jointer and planer cutterheads, saw blades and other woodworking cutting tools from holbren.com

and
              Shop HValley Tools for premium woodworking tools, 3D printers, laser engraver and CNC Machines. Trusted Brands MLCS Woodworking and Eagle America.

These firms sell quality router bits, at fair prices, that will last for a long time. :T

Cheers, Bruce
              "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• dynamowhum
                • Aug 2006

What Technimac wrote is true. But Inu had already bought the bits so I didn't want to rain on his parade. Those bits that needed an arbor are for the router but as you said of very low quality and will not last very long.
                Inu we can't learn everything young. There wouldn't be any fun left for us old guys. I'm fifty and learning this stuff too. You make some mistakes and learn that way too. Guys have a good day.

Comment

• gimpy
                  • Sep 2004

Inu, the sites that technimac gave you do give you some decent bits, at least the holbren and bladesnbits, both of which I have (I do not have any of the other two but have read good things about them). They will be plenty good, I think, for normal novice or weekend woodworkers.

Good luck, Frank

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                    • May 2006

Thanks for the info, I can easily return the bits as they are from sears. I'd much rather invest a little more and have something that would last a long time. The main bits I would need for speaker building are the straight cut, 3/4 roundover, and flus trim?

Comment

• dynamowhum
                      • Aug 2006

You'll want a spiral upcut in 1/4" for cutting out your holes. If you want to veneer you might get a solid carbide trim bit to cut the veneer away from the speaker area. Remember to get new carbide bits not recycled carbide bits. I've had good luck with porter cable, old ham, freud, and a few others. Many swear by MLCS. There are online sites that give router bit reviews. Most I have bought because I needed them now so I bought local. Good luck.

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dynamowhum
                        You'll want a spiral upcut in 1/4" for cutting out your holes.
                        Thanks Dyn! You just saved me the trouble of asking about the spiral fluted bits.
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• agrippa
                          • Dec 2005

somewhat related:

Check here on their router bit show down
                          Comprised of five divisions — Collectibles, Home Arts, Home Building, Marine, and Writer’s Digest — Active Interest Media (AIM) produces leading consumer and trade events, websites, magazines and films/TV shows.

check the score card a few paragraphs down.
                          Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
                          Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                            • May 2006

Wow, I would have expceted the Bosch to hold up a little better than it did. I guess I'll just return the bits to Sears when I get them; they've already shipped out. It's better to have something that will last a long time than to have something that will break easily.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"