X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1ke323
    • Jun 2006

TC-Sounds PA-5000

I have been following a post over at AVS of a guy who is using TC-Sounds new PA-5000 15" drivers. TC doesn't have them on their website so the guy called TC to order them.

The AVS post with lots of pictures:

Seeing as how I plan on building a sub soon, I have been considering this driver.

The specs are below:
    Bl: 24 Tm
    Vas 334L
    Mms: 260
    Fs: 22.8
    Qts. 0.336
    Spl: 93dB
    Xmax: 32mm

After a lot of research I ended up deciding on going with a tried and true design of the TC-2000 sonosub tuned to 14.5Hz with about 330l. How would the PA-5000 do in a comparison to the TC-2000 15" sonosub?

These parameters only work in WinISD and I haven't gotton the hang of WinISD like I have for Unibox.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Forget about using WinISD if you know how to use Unibox. Unibox is the better program.

Is there a reason you feel the need to pay a premium price to get a Neo motor and a PA driver with high efficiency?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• soho54
      • Dec 2005

Just so you know, the paramaters don't work in WinISD either. You end up with a negative Qms. The specs are off. :huh: We pointed it out in the original thread.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

After a lot of research I ended up deciding on going with a tried and true design of the TC-2000 sonosub tuned to 14.5Hz with about 330l.
        That's kind of like going with a "tried and true" pants size...the alignment is designed for that driver and won't necessarily work well for another.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You must have bucks to burn...based on the info published those drivers are ~$1500 ea.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Pclausen on AVS got them for $1000/ea, but that is still realllly expensive IMO. He won't have to worry about blowing woofers out anymore though...

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by soho54
              Just so you know, the paramaters don't work in WinISD either. You end up with a negative Qms. The specs are off. :huh: We pointed it out in the original thread.
              The problem is the 93dB number. That's the dB at 2.83 volts but WinISD wants the dB at 1 watt. Then it calculates the "USPL" field which is for 2.83 volts. So you need to fiddle with the SPL entry until USPL equals 93. I came up with 91.94 for SPL and now the other numbers make more sense. Here's a pic of all my numbers. Green I entered, blue calculated, black 0 unknown.

Attached Files

Comment

• m1ke323
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
                That's kind of like going with a "tried and true" pants size...the alignment is designed for that driver and won't necessarily work well for another.
                I didn't mean I wanted to put the PA-5000 in the TC-2000 sonsub, I just meant a TC-2000 sonosub or some other enclosure for the PA-5000.

I don't have money to burn, but if I am going with the TC-2000 sonosub I just want to make sure I am getting the most I can out of it and there isn't a new driver that will work better.

Thanks for the help though, looks like I am back to the TC-2000 sonosub or whatever else I can come up with.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by WillyD
                  Pclausen on AVS got them for $1000/ea, but that is still realllly expensive IMO. He won't have to worry about blowing woofers out anymore though...
                  I thought he posted he paid slightly more than the pre-order price for the LMS 5400. Maybe I'm mistaken....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by m1ke323
                    I just want to make sure I am getting the most I can out of it and there isn't a new driver that will work better.
                    This is the Catch-22. Every 6 months there's going to be a 'new', 'better' driver offered by someone..... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ssabripo
                      • Dec 2005

for the price, I'll take an LMS5400 18" driver, ANY DAY!

heck, I even got the design for it ready when the bell rings (yellow):

if I could only come up with $1500 somehow for the driver/amp/materials...
                      My simple HT setup
                      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                        • Aug 2001

I didn't mean I wanted to put the PA-5000 in the TC-2000 sonsub, I just meant a TC-2000 sonosub or some other enclosure for the PA-5000.
                        Ahh. You seemed specific about the 14.5Hz/330L.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"